Author Topic: EXCELSIOR Manxman or Warrior in Australia PRE-WAR  (Read 8677 times)

Offline Geoffrey

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
EXCELSIOR Manxman or Warrior in Australia PRE-WAR
« on: March 30, 2006, 10:16:35 AM »
Excelsior Manxman or Warrior in Australia. My first enquiry . .  about a very worn photo of my Uncle, Hector Coughlan of Balgowlah, Sydney, Australia dated pre-war. He sits very proudly astride a bike that looks VERY lightweight for an event called "Flying mile". The machine appears to be new or in excellent condition.  My elderly Mother recalls Hector imported the bike in either his name or his father, Charles Coughlan of Manly, Sydney, from England in maybe `38 or `39.
Question . . is there any register in Britain or Australia where I may persue the whereabouts of this beautiful machine. I believe it to be a `38 or `39 Maxman, but some pictures of Warriors are very similar, especially a Maroon tanked `38 350 G9 Sports.
The photo is viewed from the right hand side (exhaust) so any identification has to be made from this angle. I am pleased to furnish any info I have for further assistance, and am grateful if anyone in cyberspace is conversant with this subject, as I am a total novice. We as a family are interested to know wether it may even be still in existence, as Hector was an exceptional rider and deeply cherished his `toy'.  Many Thanks.

Offline geoffus

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: EXCELSIOR Manxman or Warrior in Australia PRE-
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 09:40:39 AM »
hi
there are quite a few Excelsior Manxman in Australia it would be handy to see the photograph as I could make a reasonable judgment as to whether it is a Manxman warrior or norman. I have seen a warrior with a very light weight frame.
try looking at the photos on the site under Excelsior
regards Geoff

Offline Geoffrey

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 09:35:12 AM »
G'day Geoff . . Are you in Aus ?
If I was more computer literate the piccy would have been with the enquiry. If I can get help to include it I will,OK. Now though, I'm a Signwriter living in a village called Cooranbong near Lake Macquarie NSW. I scanned the photo during the weekend in Photoshop at 600dpi and guess what . . the tank has revealed `MANXMAN' under the Excelsior wording.` Excel.' is in a straight line, not curved as in most pics I've perused, and close examination shows either solid rear suspension or friction shocks because no visible dampening can be seen, as you said, I already checked the images on this site, which leads me to believe it's a 36 or `37.
Must go . . please reply, as we'll talk further. Thanks for taking the effort to respond.  Bless ya and best Regards
Geoffrey Mead

Offline geoffus

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 10:27:29 AM »
Hi Geoff,
nice to hear from you, 1936 was the last year of the left hand exhaust pipe. Sometime in the middle of that year exhaust pipes changed to right hand side. Unfortunately without an engine number its almost impossible to tell the year.
You can gauge roughly a year by the vertical shaft, as these altered almost yearly. How Excelsior ever made a profit beats me. If it is possible to see the front brake, these were gearling in 1939, which appears to be just a cable going into the brake plate.
regards Geoff, from Adelaide

Offline VintageBike

• YaBB Administrator
  • Advanced Member
  • Not quite enough bikes in the garage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 04:22:48 PM »
Geoff,

if you want to attach a picture, here's how you do it.  Reply to the post as you would normally do.  At the bottom, underneath the box where you type your reply, you will see "Attach:" and "Browse".  If you click on browse, it will let you search your PC for the photo you want to include.

It should be as easy at that, but if not, email me the photo and i'll post it for you.  I love Excelsiors and am always happy to see another one!

Nigel
www.vintagebike.co.uk

Offline Geoffrey

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 06:54:42 AM »
To Geoff in Adelaide . . and Nigel in Britain.
Now again , I hope to send THE photo !  I say again because yesterdays effort didn't go through, as the file in Photoshop was about 50 sqillion mega  somethings, so it didn't send. BUT . . a fellow here at work suggested "hey, try this". SO . . hope you guys get it.  Thanks heaps for your interest, and Nigel your direction is invaluable, ta. Geoff, I am assuming your interest is local in Adelaide but also national ? There's a fantastic story that partners the piccy . . not up to the standard of Burt Munro but nonetheless mind boggling. See what you think and look forward to contact again. This technology is so amazing . . England and Australia in 10 seconds flat, top stuff.  Bless ya both and kindest regards.  Geoffrey Mead

Offline geoffus

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006, 07:30:59 PM »
G'day Geoff
Your picture came through - looks good, but unfortunately the more I enlarge it, the more distorted it gets.
To start at the front and work backwards -
Aluminium brake backing plate, original racing equipment.
21 inch front wheel, genuine.
Where his hand is on the petrol tank would be over the rev counter, but I do not see a drive to this.
I hope Hector was at the time not using this bike in anger as the front down-tube is about to break in half.  There should be a lug with a steel bar going to the top of the cylinder head as a steady.
The engine has some peculiarities but, to take a good guess, it is a 1937 250 ? racing Excelsior Manxman.
Petrol tank look right but I have never seen 'Excelsior' written that way.
Racing oil tank, gearbox, TT carburettor look authentic.
However, he has a rear light and number plate, and pillion footrest, which makes me think he used it as everyday transport.
Now, if Nigel can tell you how to email me without going on the general site, I will give you a guy's telephone number in Sydney who is compiling Excelsior material.  He's not on the computer and would not put his telephone number on the general site.
He may be able to help with Hector.
(I know of quite a few Australia-wide.)
Regards, Geoff

Offline VintageBike

• YaBB Administrator
  • Advanced Member
  • Not quite enough bikes in the garage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2006, 02:47:40 PM »
Geoff,
if you look at a post made by Geoffrey, you will see a little envelope to the left.  If you click on this, it will let you send a message to him.  It isn't an email, but it's private and no-one else can see it.  Geoffrey, when you log in next (assuming Geoffus has sent it) you will see "Hey, Geoffrey, you have 1 message" at the very top of the screen.  Click on it - and hey presto!  Let me know if you have problems.
Cheers
Nigel

P.S. I'd love to add the photo to the Excelsior Gallery.  Any objections?

Geoffrey Mead

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2006, 08:41:22 AM »
Nigel . . Mate, by all means add to the gallery. I'm having trouble logging in. Keeps saying `user name does not exist'. Whats up or do I just not login. Says at the page top `welcome guest'.
Talk soon  Geoffrey