Author Topic: volkswagen sunbeam s7  (Read 22204 times)

Offline mistert

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
volkswagen sunbeam s7
« on: April 12, 2006, 05:33:50 AM »
hi my father in law has just aquired a volkswagen engined sunbeam s7 and he would like to know if anybody out there has any info on this particulaly about the clutch mechanism ie does it operate like bike or car out of the rear or side of the casing thanks

Offline sidecar24

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: volkswagen sunbeam s7
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 06:20:47 PM »
MisterT, I presume you had no replies to this post ?! Did your father-in-law subsequently sell on this bike -- I have just bought a VW engined S7 (POC nnn)........it was sold by VRN Ltd (?) in 2012 and I have just bought it from that owner.....unfortunately it is now 'dismantled into boxes'. I'd be interested to hear anything that you found out about the bike. Did it run when your father-in-law had it ?!

wetdog

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 09:21:19 AM »
i think this machine used to belonge to a person in worcester , he was a vmcc member so a add in that mag could bring up some history as he had it for many years attached to a chair , and it looked and worked well .

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 01:51:04 PM »
Any pics available?

Offline sidecar24

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 08:11:33 AM »
This is how it looked.........but "in boxes" now:

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 08:19:53 AM »
Nice.  I'd love something like that. ;)

wetdog

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 11:05:43 AM »
very nice and not the same one , how has the worm and wheel faired with the extra power ? i can see this being a weak area

Offline Bomber

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 12:14:40 PM »
To be fair it was a weak point on the standard bike as I recall
If iver tha does owt for nowt alus duit for thissen

Offline sidecar24

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 12:58:07 PM »
The VW engine installed is, I believe, a 1955 1200cc Beetle engine which produces an arm-wrenching 25hp.......exactly the same as the  original Sunbeam 500cc motor does. I'm sure I've read that the Sunbeam worm-drive isn't actually as bad as folklore has come to suggest......and anyway, some gifted engineer from the SOF has produced a v limited number of Ural bevel-drives adapted to fit Sunbeams......and I happen to have one of them !

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2013, 03:35:09 PM »
The bevel drive problem is another Net myth, isn't it? As I understand it if you use the wrong/no oil it soon wears, but that goes for most things.
Should think the Urinal (fitted with some real ball races) bevel would last well though.

Offline Bomber

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2013, 03:50:40 PM »
I restored one for a friend about 6 years ago and the drive was fubared, hence the comment.

wetdog

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2013, 04:20:59 PM »
its not a bevel , its a worm and wheel underslung and the 1200 vw engine will produce far more power than the sunbeam could dream of , they did ware at an alarming rate and if the oil dropped low more so , 25bhp for the vw sounds about right but for the sunbeam sounds high , i had one for a short while and it was a well built slug ,  a m20 ,vb , m21 , (infact must be one of the slowest 500 ive ever owened)  etc would leave it standing , looks like a nice project and vw parts are easy to come by , never seen the hub conversion you talk of but sounds prommising and worth fitting

Offline Bomber

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2013, 10:11:47 PM »
As I recall, I went down to Nottingham and visited Gaggs and they supplied me with a lot of the bits I needed. The two brothers are a right pair of characters and the shop is worth visiting even if just for the crack!

Offline sidecar24

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2013, 07:38:39 PM »
I think neat Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer is the SOF oil of choice for the bevel drive. No sulphur to attack the bronze ?

wetdog

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2013, 10:22:04 PM »
bronze .. so your sticking with the Archimedes screw , thought you had a bevel conversion . bmw do a great dif and plenty about you might want to look at , the standard worm will suffer i think .