Author Topic: Hi and can anyone help?  (Read 8784 times)

Offline topyoke

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Hi and can anyone help?
« on: June 02, 2007, 01:57:20 AM »
Hi there, newbie to the site.

ive just acquired a Honda CB550f from a relative. Its a complete rolling chassis with the engine stripped down and in bits. Number on chassis is 2111153.

Would any one be able to give me some info on year built, what model and general opinion on Classic status?

Only just starting to get into older/vintage machines and any help would be appreciated.

Mark
« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 01:58:14 AM by topyoke »

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Hi and can anyone help?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 04:47:04 AM »
Hello Mark and welcome.

Could you give the complete chassis number with the prefix please?

Is it CB550F - 2111153

Can you also give the engine number with prefix?

L.A.B.

Offline topyoke

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 05:23:49 AM »
Hello Mark and welcome.

Could you give the complete chassis number with the prefix please?

Is it CB550F - 2111153

Can you also give the engine number with prefix?

thats right mate CB550f - 2111153 for the frame, but the engine is all in bits at the back of the garage and havent had the chance to excavate that far back. ;D

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 08:26:53 AM »

thats right mate CB550f - 2111153 for the frame,

Then I suspect you have a 1977 F2 model?

If the engine number prefix is CB550E, and the number is somewhere between 1135380 and 2000000, that would most likely confirm it as being a 1977 model.

I take it you haven't received any documentation or even a number plate with the bike, as that should of course give the year info, but I'm guessing that you are in the UK?
But perhaps you are not?  
L.A.B.

Offline topyoke

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 03:54:11 PM »
the fella i have got it from works away for a month or so at a time so as soon as he comes back i will have the paperwork. the plate that is on it is irish reg or private so not date related. ???

cheers for your help and does anyone have an opinion on this model. is it worth keeping hold of for a bit. my plan i think is to put it all back together , get it running and stopping then decide whether to strip back down and restore. any thoughts?

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2007, 02:37:06 AM »
The earlier CB500 Four is (I'm sure) regarded as more of a classic machine than the CB550, as they were rather overshadowed by the CB400 Four and later on the CX500 and Suzuki GS550.

I owned a CB550 F1 during the seventies (after part-exchanging my CB400F for it) and I must say that I preferred it to the CB400F.

If you intend to do a full restoration then it would probably cost considerably more than the bike will actually be worth afterwards. Some '70s Honda parts are now becoming scarce (and expensive!).
L.A.B.

Offline topyoke

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2007, 03:01:02 AM »
thanks for the info :) wouldnt have picked this bike to do first but got it for next to nothing so got nothing to lose. im a fitter by trade with a modern suzuki and want something to tinker with with.

not really concerned about doing a total identical renovation, just more of getting back to good condition and a few little improvements.

for my first one anyway ;)

Offline Grizzly

• Advanced Member
  • Tell the truth and shame the devil!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 04:19:31 AM »
Hi Mark
Welcome to the site.
Your 550 is without doubt worth rebuilding and using again.
LAB is bang on when he says the 500 four is more highly regarded  as a classic machine than the 550. However when new the 550 was regarded as more refined and smooth than the 500 as well as handling better.
I had a 550K3 (four tail pipes) in the late 70's. It needed a new cam chain and tensioner at 15000 miles and a gearbox rebuild at 19000 miles because of jumping out of third gear. Both common faults, the 3rd gear fault usualy on hard used and well thrashed machines, as mine was (teenager you see).
I would check both items whilst your motor is down!
Once its built use and enjoy, just change the oil every 1000 miles(I didn't) and the motor will run for ever.
Grizzly
The older I get the faster I was

Offline topyoke

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 06:12:45 PM »
thanks grizzly

gonna get it in my garage and see where it goes from there. if i have the time i will crack on and do something with it. if not i will hold onto it a bit for future tinkering :)

Offline topyoke

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2007, 05:39:04 AM »
finally got it in my garage and had a good look at it.  :)

engine number is cb550e - 1150295. rolling chassis is in not too bad condition, all components of engine seem to be there apart from a leaf spring from carbs. talked to who i got it off and it was stripped down to replace cam chain(which is done) and never put back together. first used in approx 1978 and  last used in 2000.

just one problem is that it hasnt been declared sorn for the last 7 years. will have to speak to dvla to see if gonna be a problem. ???

Offline topyoke

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 01:40:03 PM »
Never got round to anything other than sorting out the bits and washing it. now on ebay.
Thanks for your help in identifying it, much appreciated.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=120333380014