Author Topic: Shakey Flat-tanker  (Read 4838 times)

Offline RichP

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Shakey Flat-tanker
« on: November 28, 2008, 09:29:28 PM »
Can anyone help me put a name to the bike in this poor quality snapshot ?  There may be a few clues for the knowledgeable. The manufacturer's name looks to be a script type.

The only background that I have to the picture which was in my late Grandfather's effects is that my mother thinks it is of the local postman, taken when the family had a pre-war Army posting to Northern Ireland. I assume though that this was not a GPO machine ?

Any suggestions welcome !

Cheers, Rich

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
Re: Shakey Flat-tanker
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 09:53:41 PM »
Hi Rich,
I looks to be a BSA, and the combination of flat tank and large front brake probably dates it around 1927-28. Something like this one: http://www.vintagebike.co.uk/Bike%20Directories/BSA%20Bikes/pages/BSA%20Delux%201927.htm
Cheers
Leon

Offline RichP

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 10:03:02 PM »
Thanks Leon - and so quickly too ! Do you think, based on the frequency of the vibration, that the photo was taken by a passenger on a similar machine riding alongside ? ;)

Next task is to find out if the Post Office in Ulster used BSAs .

Offline m3bobby

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 10:42:10 AM »
Thanks Leon - and so quickly too ! Do you think, based on the frequency of the vibration, that the photo was taken by a passenger on a similar machine riding alongside ? ;)

Next task is to find out if the Post Office in Ulster used BSAs .

I think its blured because the photographer was following the rider before taking the shot, that way hes sure its in the shot. i.e. like using a shot gun, you need to follow the target with the end of the barrell and then shoot slightly in front of the target to make sure the pellets are on target and not behind.

Is that just confusing?