Author Topic: Triton kick start  (Read 4908 times)

Offline fuzzyeddie

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Triton kick start
« on: April 15, 2006, 06:08:12 PM »
hello to all out there. I am new to this forum and new to old bikes. After many years on 'new' bikes, I have given them up for something more involving, and licence friendly.

I acquired a 1957 Triton, 650 Triumph engine, Norton 4 speed box.  A problem I have come across is the kick start sticking in the down position after starting. It is possible to knock it back in to its resting position with a bit of care.

any suggestions for a cure?

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Triton kick start
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 03:51:11 AM »
If the problem isn't being caused by the kickstart lever fouling something (normally on the silencer) then you obviously have a problem with the kickstart mechanism (K/S pawl stop?/pawl assembly?/shaft?/bush?/return spring?)  that should be investigated.  
L.A.B.

Offline dunboyneroadracing

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 07:58:42 AM »
a freind has asked me to fix his trident.it locked up and the plug was squashed closed on it.is it true that they commonly throw a leg outta bed ,and that the conrod bolts are the fault of this.if so is there anywhere i can get replacement/tougher bolts.

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 04:50:22 AM »
We seem to have gone a bit off topic with this, but it isn't unknown for the BSA/Triumph triples to throw the odd conrod!

The main (but by no means only) reason for this is low oil pressure, and can be the result of wear in the two centre main bearings, the alloy rods can also suffer breakage through fatigue due to the fairly revvy nature of these engines now 30+ years old, many owners upgrade to either Carrillo or Arrow steel conrods.  

The triple conrod bolts are I think no weaker than any similar type, but of course they should ALWAYS be replaced with new ones (and nuts) on every stripdown, many people preferring to set the bolt torque by the measuring the amount of bolt stretch.

A LARGE amount of triple info can be found on the excellent Triples on line website forum  (searchable) here:http://www.triplesonline.com/

L.A.B.

Offline dunboyneroadracing

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 09:10:22 PM »
oops .sorry bout the off topic thing , im not too forum savvy.will try bear it in mind in future.