Author Topic: My grandad's bike?  (Read 4014 times)

Offline ken1

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
My grandad's bike?
« on: June 17, 2009, 12:34:03 PM »
Hope this works - it's my first effort. Below is a picture of my mother and one of her brothers taken in their back yard in approx. 1927/8.

I have another which I'll post separately which is maybe 1937/8. Any information about the bikes - names of/ prices of/ English?  etc. would be very welcome

Ken1

Offline m3bobby

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: My grandad's bike?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 07:50:00 PM »
Hope this works - it's my first effort. Below is a picture of my mother and one of her brothers taken in their back yard in approx. 1927/8.

I have another which I'll post separately which is maybe 1937/8. Any information about the bikes - names of/ prices of/ English?  etc. would be very welcome

Ken1
I've no idea about the manufacturer but i have noticed its a direct belt drive so must be just post 1st war or so.

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 12:02:17 AM »
Hi Ken,

The bike looks to be a Levis "Pop" (short for Popular) which was a 211 cc two-stroke direct-belt-drive model built over a surprising wide date range. The EIC magneto on this one suggests it was built well into the war years (say 1916) or post war (1919 - pehaps 1922). A Levis expert will be able to help with details. Certainly in the "cheap and cheerful" category, but bikes like this were probably used by a wide cross-section of the community - you could certainly be very middle class and still choose an economical, lightwieght bike for transport.

Leon

Offline ken1

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 11:01:00 AM »
Thanks to both of you and especially to Leon for suggesting where I could look for more detail. Isn't the internet wonderful? I can get a pair of experts just like that! I hope someone can help with the other picture......

Ken