Author Topic: My grandad's  second bike ?  (Read 4318 times)

Offline ken1

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
My grandad's  second bike ?
« on: June 17, 2009, 12:40:18 PM »
Same people but about 7-10 years later. Again I'd like to know something about the bikes - to give me some idea of whether he was well off or knowledgeable about bikes.

Ken1

Offline m3bobby

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: My grandad's  second bike ?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 08:03:39 PM »
Same people but about 7-10 years later. Again I'd like to know something about the bikes - to give me some idea of whether he was well off or knowledgeable about bikes.

Another intresting bike, the saddle tank suggests late 20's at the ealiest but the forks scream just post WW1 to early 20's.

Ken1

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 12:09:37 AM »
Hi Ken,

From the earlier photo, it seems the family were fond of Levis motorcycles. I'm pretty sure this is another, even though I don't recognise the tank transfer as Levis. (Perhaps you can look at it with a bright light and magnifying glass.) I'd guess early rather than late 1930s. Again at this date Levis were a well-rated brand of two strokes, and even a well-off family could choose a machine like this if it met their needs. Levis had a range of four strokes by this date, but the flagship of the two strokes was the "Six Port", which was quite a potent machine. Not much to be seen of the engine here other than the outside flywheel - over to you Levis experts!

Leon

Offline ken1

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 12:03:30 PM »
Thank you both for your comments - especially to Leon who's helped twice. I have had it suggested that the second bike was possibly an AJS. Being no expert I'm keeping quiet......for the time being!

Ken1

Offline MurrayT140

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 11:17:44 PM »
I think the answer is there in the photo if you scan it again on a high resolution , maybe 600 dpi and adjust the contrast / light settings in photshop or similar program. This worked for me identifying my uncles New Hudson motorcycle. Its amazing the detail you can find in old photos if scanned well and contrast adjusted :).
cheers
Murray