Author Topic: 1936 Triumph (?) 1-cylinder OHV engine ~300cc  (Read 6342 times)

Offline cinas

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
1936 Triumph (?) 1-cylinder OHV engine ~300cc
« on: October 01, 2009, 10:46:14 PM »
Hi, I'm about to restore my dad's old motorcycle. According to the documents it is a 1936 Triumph, but it's definitely not. As it used to be in Poland in 70's, the motorcycle is a mixture of different makes and kinds.

If anyone has an idea, please help me identifying the parts. It would be probably hard to restore it to its original state, but my point is to make it, how my father bought it.

I think gearbox is a Burman's SL model, but I have no idea about an engine. Please look at the pictures, and provide me any information. The engine has a characteristic valve timing box, and unfortunatelly I do not have it's cover, so I'm stuck right now :(

More pictures are available here http://cinas2.webd.pl/triumph/ and here http://cinas2.webd.pl/triumph/silnik

Thanks in advance
Marcin

Offline Justin_Faithfull

• Advanced Member
  • ELEPHANTS - WHERE?
    • View Profile
Re: 1936 Triumph (?) 1-cylinder OHV engine ~300cc
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 06:41:56 PM »
Are you sure it isn't a TWN (a GermanTriumph). The carb. is a Fischer Amal made under licence on the continent, & the whole bike has a continental look to it.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 06:42:39 PM by Justin_Faithfull »

Offline cinas

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 01:43:54 AM »
Hi Justin, thanks for your answer.

Notice that the engine is not connected directly to the frame, but it has that black metal plate visible on one of the pictures. So the frame and the engine comes out of different motorcycles.

Amal Carb. has a lot of stamps on its case, logos etc. Engine has none, except for a serial number. It is not german-style, they always has everything well documented and stamped I think.

What do you think?

Offline Justin_Faithfull

• Advanced Member
  • ELEPHANTS - WHERE?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 04:18:04 PM »
Many bikes have plates between the engine & the frame, this does not neccessarily mean that the engine came from a different bike.
I do not recognise the engine or the bike.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 04:18:41 PM by Justin_Faithfull »

Offline cinas

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 07:30:43 PM »
At TWN club I was told it is not a german triumph. Two different guys points it might be a british triumph, but they are not sure about it.

Offline RichP

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 09:02:39 PM »
There are a number of components on the machine which look to be of German origin. The fuel tank and forks look DKW ish.

It may sound a bit obvious but my first check would be to see whether the major (or unaltered ) threads on the bike are metric or imperial.

I would think it unlikely that they've all been altered.

Offline cinas

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 03:16:35 PM »
RichP: That was a good idea. I measured a thread and a screw marked on the picture. They are exactly 9mm and 14mm. Does it mean the engine block is rather continental that british?

Also, I discover that the cylinder and cylinder head are from Horex Regina/Victoria SB35

Offline RichP

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 09:53:20 PM »
I think that you have a very ingenious 'bitsa' here. Some things are starting to fall into place. The Horex top end first appeared pre-war and the engine units were supplied to Victoria for their Pionier military model.

I'm pretty sure that you've got Victoria Pionier forks there.

Do you know this site ?

http://www.autogallery.org.ru/vik35ss.htm

It would appear that there are owners of ex-Wehrmacht Victorias in Poland. I would think that it's definitely worth talking to them.

Would the OHV top end fit on an earlier side valve crankcase from Horex ? I don't know them well enough but someone will know !

Good luck and keep us posted. :)