Author Topic: Villiers Mark V1-C  (Read 8336 times)

Offline nigel

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Villiers Mark V1-C
« on: October 12, 2009, 08:23:05 PM »
I am researching a Villers Mark V1-C engine for a friend. It has a serial number 19723 on the casing. We think it is a small motor cycle engine as it has a decompression lever. I have looked at a another site who suggest it was made from 1922 onwards. I attach a picture. Was it used as a motor cycle engine? If so what models?

Offline Justin_Faithfull

• Advanced Member
  • ELEPHANTS - WHERE?
    • View Profile
Re: Villiers Mark V1-C
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 11:43:57 PM »
The Villiers Mark VI C is a 147cc engine made in 1922-3, it was then superseded by the Mark VII C for 1923-4 & the Mark VIII C for 1924-34. Does your engine have a prefix letter with the engine number, it should be H for the Mark VI C (L for the Mark VII C & W for the Mark VIII C).
These engines were fitted into motorcycles & were used by many different makers in Britain, & some continental manufacturers aswell.
Villiers engines were also used in lawnmowers & other machinery.

Offline nigel

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 11:52:11 AM »
Hi Justin, thank you for that, no there is no letter prefix at all and the metal is quite clear and clean, just the 5 digit number.

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 05:20:58 AM »
This is interesting. Justin was spot on in everything he wrote and this will be an absolute first, a prewar Villiers engine with no prefix to the engine number.
Can I ask,
a) What information has been cast into the back of the cylinder on the transfer port, and
b) What diameter is the inlet manifold where the carburettor clips on?

Last thing, most of these engines were fitted with a decompression valve regardless of what it was originally fitted too. I've only ever seen it deleted on some of these engines fitted to very cheap ATCO mowers. Most mowers and other non motorcycle applications still had them fitted to assist starting and to stop the wee beasties.
These are marvellous wee engines. I've done many miles on a 2 speed Excelsior powered by one. I never knew I could have so much fun riding such a tiny little bike. It completely won me over.
Cheers,

Offline nigel

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 09:12:48 PM »
Hi thanks for the further information. I got home too late tonight to check for the further information. It is not visible on the digital images I took. I will get it tomorrow night.

Is it possible that the missing prefix is a mistake, left off in error?

Offline nigel

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 07:50:24 PM »
Further to the above. I cannot get access to the engine until Saturday. I will get the details then.

However, you have got us interested. Where could I find a list of suggested motor cycles that this engine would fit. It would make anice little winter project.

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 06:30:15 AM »
Hi Nigel,
I don't know that anyone has ever bothered to list all the manufacturers who offered a bike powered by a 147cc Villiers. If they did it would run to a couple of dozen at least. It's a bit like asking how many different 50cc models have Honda made. Only a real anorak would know.
You have to remember this engine was fitted to bikes from 1922 to 1932 when Villiers brought out their new 148cc engine to replace it.
Names range from the well known like Francis-Barnett to some remarkably obscure stuff like the Carfield and the Ray that are long forgotten.
Be very careful with old two-strokes or you'll get sucked in like I am. They aren't fast, they aren't particularly comfortable, they don't stop particularly well but the fun factor is enormous. You'll find hill climbing is an exciting sport and you get a big thrill if ever you manage to overtake anything. I love'em.
Cheers,