Author Topic: Jack Hollowell  (Read 5153 times)

Offline Paul_Rochdale

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Jack Hollowell
« on: February 22, 2007, 09:12:29 PM »
My first post here - well my second actually. My first post had an attachment which apparently was too large to the entire lengthy post was deleted! Deep joy, let's try yet again!

Jack Hollowell, sometimes known as 'Bill, but his full name was probably Jack William Hollowell, works AJS rider in 1925. 9 August 1925, Belgian GP at the famous Spa-Francorchamps circuit. On the fifth lap, riding a 350cc AJS and in the lead, he was approaching the Chefosse bridge and Stavelot, and started to overtake another rider. They collided and Holloway fell from his bike. His missed all of the roadside trees but unfortunately struck his head on an iron fence post. With great ceremoney, his coffin was placed in a flower-bedecked train, and his body was taken to one of the channel ports. Jack was born in Warrington at the end of 1902.  Later a magnificent monument was erected in his memory but this not only fell into disrepair, but also into the Eau Rouge Creek. Years later the monument was rescued by the local curator of the museum and in 2005 was re-erected in the centre of the village of Francorchamps. I am trying to find a picture of him and to locate his grave.

Offline Paul_Rochdale

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Jack Hollowell
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 05:57:26 PM »
I have been in touch with the librarian of Warrington Library and Billy Hollowell was buried in Hill Cliffe Cemetery on the outskirts of the town.

Offline Paul_Rochdale

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Jack Hollowell
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 06:04:20 PM »
This is the memorial page I've written for Billy Hollowell, and for over fifty other riders who for one reason or another have passed on.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=18021782