Author Topic: help identify my norton featherbed  (Read 7662 times)

Offline JackPJW

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Email
help identify my norton featherbed
« on: January 29, 2006, 01:59:56 AM »
I am building a Triton based on a slimline featherbed frame and wish to try and identifty the original bike in order to register it. I have, so far been unable to find a frame number can anyone tell me where to look?
Also the frame is a slimline feather bed and the frame has a 4inch approx indentation in the side of the top right hand frame rail under the petrol tank which does not appear on all slimline frames. Can anyone help me narrow it down to a particular bike or even better a year? I have attached a pic of a similar frame that i found on the internet showing the indentation.
I know the 1962 ES2 had this indentation but did the slimline framed dominators. If I can narrow it down to the ES2 then am I correct in assuming it must be a 61-64 model
« Last Edit: January 29, 2006, 02:00:36 AM by JackPJW »

Offline TBS

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: help identify my norton featherbed
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 03:44:19 AM »
Hi Jack,
 I know that the wideline frames are stamped on the left,  running downwards, in between the 2 through bolts at the back of the rear loop, where in your picture the paint has been scraped. It usually is a light stamping that can be lost through heavy layers of paint.
Your frame is from a single cylinder model as it has the indentation in the top rail, so it would be from a 61-64 ES2 model

Hugh
www.thebikeshed.net

Offline JackPJW

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 05:12:58 AM »
Thanks thats a great help. I have just had the frame powder coated and that is why i cannot see it probably.
Was the ES2 a model name then or were there a number of different models which went under this generic name?

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2006, 06:18:13 AM »
The photo would seem to have been taken before the frame was powder coated so I think the frame number can just be seen running down in a vertical line directly below the upper bolt hole in the gusset plate.

Above the frame number you should also find a single number '4', that is the model code number for the ES2.

Was the ES2 a model name then or were there a number of different models which went under this generic name?

'ES2' was a specific model name although the specification did change quite a bit over the years as it was in production from 1928 to 1939, then 1947 to 1963, also (ES2 Mk2, 1964 to 1966).

The frame number will give the year if you can find it and say what it is, the first three digits of the number reading top to bottom should do (do not include the separate number at the top)?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2006, 05:22:11 PM by L.A.B. »
L.A.B.

Offline JackPJW

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2006, 06:07:47 PM »
Thanks guys. Trouble is the bike on the pic is not my bike it is a pic I happend to find on t'internet, mine has already been powdercoated but I suppose I can remove it in this area.
Am I right then to assume that the ES2 slimlines were only made from 61 to 64?

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 03:04:33 AM »
Am I right then to assume that the ES2 slimlines were only made from 61 to 64?

The information I have would seem to show the ES2 slimline frame available '61 - '63 as it was not used on the ES2 Mk2.

L.A.B.