Author Topic: 1929 Sunbeam  (Read 6584 times)

Puketaha

1929 Sunbeam
« on: July 12, 2006, 06:51:49 PM »
I am looking for  information on the Sunbeam that won the 1929 Isle of Man Senior TT, particularly, I would like to know whether the bike still exists and if so where it is today?

Mike Taylor, Hamilton, New Zealand

Offline BEAMA

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1929 Sunbeam
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 04:01:54 AM »
THE CHANCES OF FINDING THE ACTUAL 1929 SENIOR TT BIKE ARE SLIM.THERE ARE NUMEROUS PEOPLE CLAIMING TO HAVE IT. I CAN TELL YOU THAT CHARLIE DODSON WON IT AT AN AVERAGE SPEED OF 72.05 MPH AND BROKE THE LAP RECORD WITH A SPEED OF 73.55 MPH. HE ALSO WON THE 1928 SENIOR TT AT AN AVERAGE SPEED OF 62.98 MPH. I HAVE RIDDEN THE 1930 M90 THAT IS  SUPPOSED TO BE THE BIKE THAT DODSON CAME FOURTH ON. I CAN TELL YOU THAT IT IS AN INCREDIBLE MACHINE TO RIDE. EVEN IF ITS NON POSITIVE STOP 3 SPEED GEABOX IS A BIT OF A PIG UNTIL YOU GET USED TO IT.
I DO KNOW WHERE THE EX- DODSON 1928 WINNER IS AND I AM FAIRLY SURE IT IS THE CORRECT BIKE.
AND, NO I CANT DIVULGE WHERE IT IS FOR OBVIOUS REASONS !
YOU CAN SEE THE 1930 BIKE BEING RIDDEN ON A VIDIO CALLED 'THE TESTERS RUN' FIRST RELEASED IN 1995/1996 BY LUMIC VIDIO PRODUCTIONS, TEL: +44 1348 274742 & 839379  IT WAS FOR SALE IN VARIOUS OUTLETS IN THE UK. I BELIEVE IT WAS RENAMED LATER AS 'SUNBEAM AND AJS MOTORCYCLES'

BEAMA

Offline sashdown

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 10:25:49 PM »
Charlie Dodsons sunbeam bike is currently kept at the The Black Country Living Museum near Birmingham in the UK www.bclm.co.uk
It is displayed along with the his TT trophies, 7 of them of which 2 are winners trophies.

Charlie Dodson was a great friend of my father and my father was responsible for organising his ill fated ride at the Festival of a 1000 bikes at Brands Hatch (Charlie went round the track on his Sunbeam and had so much fun that he kept going, despite the Marshalls attempts to stop him. He eventually crashed and died later in hospital)
Charlie left all his trophies to my father and the bike to another of his friends. The other friend died 5 years ago and left my father and another the person the Sunbeam in a trust (my father later added the trophies to the trust).

My father died several months ago and I have become benefactor of the trust.

I believe the Sunbeam is the 1928 version and not 1929, although I am unsure of the differences.

I am now myself researching information about the bike and Charlie Dodson.
My father has told me many snippets but not too much is recorded. I am also considering to arrange for the bike to be ridden at the 100 year TT anniversary this year as my father had planned on doing it.

Any information would be gratefully received

Offline BEAMA

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 12:41:04 AM »
DODSONS 1928 TT 90 HAD A BULL NOSE FUEL TANK.
HIS 1929 AND 1930 TT 90'S WERE SADDLE TANKS.
(THIS IS THE MOST OBVIOUS DIFFERENCE)

IF YOU SEARCH ON THE INTERNET FOR ' GEORGE PECK
SUNBEAM ' I THINK YOU WILL BE SURPRISED, HE KNEW CHARLIE DODSON AND I KNOW GEORGE IS STILL ALIVE AND KICKING AT 90 PLUS.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 12:50:47 AM by BEAMA »

Offline sashdown

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 07:34:19 PM »
I have a picture of teh bike with my dad standing next to it - it is definitely a bullnose tank, so is Charlies 1928 bike. Thanks for the search tip - interesting reading