Author Topic: What is Vintage  (Read 11664 times)

Offline V4

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
What is Vintage
« on: May 11, 2006, 09:31:23 PM »
Perhaps this has already been discussed on this site but what is actually determined to be Vintage, Classic or Historic?  

Offline TriSpec

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: What is Vintage
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 08:19:47 AM »
Officially recognised is -
Veteran = Pre 1915 (Australia and New Zealand stretch that to pre 1919.)
Vintage = Post veteran to pre 1931 or'32.
Then there are Post Vintage, Pre-War and Post-War classes.
'Classic' has never been officially defined and is loosely used by owners and magazines, and can cover up to current production machines.
'Historic' should be a bike which has a significant historical background, but the term is again used very loosely. We all have a background of some sort and could therefore be said to be of historic interest.
Americans appear to rate anything over 20 years old to be 'Vintage'.

Peter C.

Offline V4

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 09:42:09 AM »
Peter:

Thanks for this.  I'am in Canada and yes I have a 1983 Honda CM 250 Custom, parallel twin, air cooled and belt drive.   Still marketed here as a Honda Rebel in 2006.  It is considered to be Vintage and I am eligible for vintage insurance and license plates at a reduced cost.  20 years seems to be hardly worthy of the title.  I also own since new a 1973 Volvo 142 and here in Canada it is "Historic" and wears licence plates as such and also with reduced insurance but with some restrictions in it's daily use.

John H

Offline TriSpec

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2006, 11:10:34 AM »
>20 years seems to be hardly worthy of the title.

Nice to know that you feel that way, John.
In New Zealand we are not eligible for reduced registration (license plates) until a vehicle is 40 years old, which seems more meaningful to me. My 'every day' car is my 1974 MGB and having owned for 27 years to me it certainly isn't 'vintage' as it has all manner of modern features. The 1927 Triumph motor cycle, which is the one I generally use on rallies, is more  'vintage' with it's 'total loss' lubrication system and manual control (only) over advance and retard of the ignition spark. Even that is 'modern' in that I don't have to remember to manually pump the oil to the engine every 10 miles as was required a year earlier.

Regards, Peter C.

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2006, 06:38:29 PM »
To be really pedantic the vintage era is up to 31st December 1930. This was first arrived at by the English Vintage Sports Car Club and has been accepted internationally ever since.
There are many who consider their interest "vintage" and call themselves "vintage" but aren't, The Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club springs to mind. Not having a go at excellent Japanese bikes, merely the people who thought of the name. There is now Vintage motocross, again no vintage bikes there.
There is a great interest in old vehicles of all sorts and ages but as above, nothing vintage since 31/12/30. Doesn't matter what your mate or the blokes down the pub say.
Cheers, Bob

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2006, 11:18:52 PM »
The Vintage Motor Cycle Club http://www.vmcc.net/ now use the following categories (copied from one of their publications):

Dates shown as = Day.Month. Year (UK)

Veteran   =        Manufactured before 1/1/15

Early Vintage = Mfd. between 1/1/15 and 31/12/24

Late Vintage = Mfd. between 1/1/25 and 31/12/30

Post Vintage = Mfd. between 1/1/31 and 31/12/45

Post War = Mfd. between 1/1/46 and 31/12/60

Post 1960 = Mfd. 1/1/61 and more than 25 years old.

L.A.B.

Offline lxmlvll

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 11:38:39 AM »
Hi folks,

What, no Edwardian?

A.  ;)

Offline Panzergranate

• Advanced Member
  • Owner and rider of some of the rarer JAWA / CZs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2007, 03:02:08 AM »
I occasionally spanner for a 75 year old who still rides competively in 500cc Grass Track Racing.

He rides late 1920's and 1930's Rudges, which he's always raced since the 1950's.

So he's a vintage racer on a vintage bike.

You have to admire the design and toughness of a late 1920's Rudge, as it is a high revving (for those days), many modern features used on modern Japanese bikes. (Radial Four Valve Combustion, built up roller bearing cranks, etc.)

Rudge also were the first manufacturer to produce a truw Ton up 250cc road bike, their last bike, in 1938, decades before the Japanese made numerous claims to have done so.

Another modern everyday thing Rudge introduces was after market tuning kits, 'cos you'd obviously be tempted to race the bike once you'd bought one.

His most recent project is an aluminum cylindered Rudge stuck into a JAWA Type 896 Grass Track frame, which he intebds to race in modern bike classes. He figured that this was the way Rudge would have gone if they'd not had their factory destroyed by the Luftwaffe during the war.

Like he says about the Rudge Ulster, "Half the size of a Brough Sueriour but a lot better and faster!!" Having ridden one of his Ulsters many years ago, a bike with all the aftermarket factory goodies fitted, I can quite believe him.

I think vintage should be when the generataion that could buy the bikes new, when they were teenagers, reach retirement age (65) then those bikes should be deemed vintage.
I'm no Power Ranger!! I'm a genuine spanner welding, engine fxing, bike restoring proper Biker!!

Offline fidobsa

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2007, 04:05:47 PM »
Yes, I wonder if the people who chose these dates gave any thought to the long term consequences. It seems reasonable to have the fixed dates of the veteren category  for the pioneering vehicles that represent the beginning of powered motor transport but it would be better  if vintage covered machines over a certain age, 50 years perhaps.  A 1932 bike will never be vintage under the current designations but it is now 75 years old, which should count for something.

Offline RichP

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2007, 06:40:25 AM »
The 1930 distinction more or less (there are always exceptions) effectively defines Vintage as "Flat-Tankers"

I think the problem is that no imaginative names have been introduced since.

"Post-vintage" is a bit meaningless and takes no account of the change from hand to foot-change positive stop gearboxes. Most will have girder forks.

The next significant change for me would be from magnetos to coil (or perhaps from manual to automatic advance-retard).

I suspect that "Classic" means any bike where the price has started to increase from its "who'd want one of those old things ?" low point.

Tinker

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2008, 06:15:39 AM »
Texas defines a Classic bike as 25 years old or more. You can get special plates, as if no one could see that you were riding a Classic.  

Of couse, Texas also claims that Antiques are over 25 years old. But with antique plates you can only ride in parades or special events. Which sounds like a negative to me, but it can be costly to insure bikes, so cheap insurance on an antique may have certain appeal.

Offline Panzergranate

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 04:20:00 AM »
The Seven Ages Of A Motorcycle....

Podium fodder at a bke show.

Latest model in the showroom.

Common everyday bike.

Ratbike / Hack.

Autojumble / breakersyard project.

Collectors Auction buy.

Museum Exhibit.

I'm no Power Ranger!! I'm a genuine spanner welding, engine fxing, bike restoring proper Biker!!

Offline TRIUMPH

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2008, 10:03:37 PM »
Vintage here in Australia is 30 years or over

Offline Panzergranate

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2008, 09:36:54 AM »
If it is a Chinese motorcycle, then "Vintage" is anything still running after two years!! ;D