Author Topic: People  (Read 8061 times)

Offline Grizzly

• Advanced Member
  • Tell the truth and shame the devil!
    • View Profile
People
« on: March 27, 2008, 09:56:18 PM »
I was reminded recently about how rude some individuals can be to complete strangers!

A few years ago I bought my first British bike a B31.

At a local show a guy a good few years older than my 40 years was exhibiting the same model B31 as my own. So I struck up a conversation with this guy. We chatted away about B31's for about half an hour. Then I mentioned I had Jap bikes. Jap C**P he exclaimed and promptly stood up and walked away without another word!!!!!!!!!!!
The older I get the faster I was

Offline twolitre

• Advanced Member
  • ON yer bike!
    • View Profile
Re: People
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 11:37:59 PM »
Have patience.  It will be a good few years yet before a generation who remember Japanese for other things than taking motor and motorcycle engineering to new levels die out.
Jim Walker.

Offline Grizzly

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 02:26:42 AM »
Hi Jim
 I know another guy, he's just turned 91. Being a practicing motorcyclist since he was old enough to ride. He packed in about ten years ago because of his eyesight. The last bike he had was a 250 Honda. I think there was another 37 before that.

A real nice guy. He is going to show me his telegram when he gets it.

My parents taught me from a very early age that politeness costs nothing.

Offline BEAMA

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 03:03:23 AM »
THERE NOWT SO STRANGE AS FOLK !
I REMEMBER A WELL KNOWN AUTHORITY ON SUNBEAMS SAYING A FEW YEARS AGO THAT YOU CAN USE BSA PISTONS IN SUNBEAMS AND THE MORE BSA'S THAT ARE NOT ON THE ROAD THE BETTER. HE NOW RUNS A BSA !
MY OWN OPINION IS IT DOESN'T MATTER WHICH  COUNTRY YOUR BIKE IS MADE IN JUST ENJOY IT !
THE JAPANESE DID NOT KILL THE BRITISH MOTORCYCLE INDUSTRY, I THINK REFUSING TO PROGRESS AND LACK OF FORESIGHT CONTRIBUTED TO IT'S DOWNFALL. I KNOW SOME OF OUR OLDER GENERATION CANNOT FORGET THE WAR, I THINK WE HAVE TO RESPECT THERE FEELINGS AND THAT THEY REMEMBER THINGS WE DONT, AND ARE NOT BEING RUDE BUT JUST EXPRESSING THEIR OPINION.

BEAMA

Offline Grizzly

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 03:28:42 AM »
Hi Beama

Couldn't agree more. I don't think it matters where your bike was made or how old it is and I never have.

It goes without saying that everyone's views should be respected. However I have always looked upon respect as a girdle. It should stretch both ways.

Offline twolitre

• Advanced Member
  • ON yer bike!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 05:14:01 AM »
Hi, My offering was an observation, not an opinion,  and please note that I said "taking motors and motorcycles to new heights".  Does that sound like criticism?
  By the way, although I love old bikes, particularly post- war (40s/50s) Triumphs, I also have a much enjoyed Kawasaki w650.
Jim.
Oh, and I'm in my seventieth year.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 05:17:04 AM by twolitre »
Jim Walker.

Offline Grizzly

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 07:28:03 PM »
Hello Jim

The other day at the shops I was talking to 3 young people on twist and go scooters. Mad keen on bikes they were. Coundn't wait to pass there tests and get bigger bikes.

Now the last thing I would do is say to them twist and go scooters are rubbish and walk away, even if that was my opinion which it most certainly isn't.

My thread was never intended to be ageist or political. It was intended however to be a light hearted illustration of just how bad mannered some people can be!

Nuff Said

« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 07:33:21 PM by Grizzly »

Offline twolitre

• Advanced Member
  • ON yer bike!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 07:40:16 PM »
Hi Grizzly, You have raised another question here.

I bought a 'twist and go' Benelli scooter (with windscreen wiper and radio and foldaway roof!) for my son to (belatedly) learn on.  I sold it on because a CBT instructor told me my son would not be able to ride geared bikes if he took his test on the Benelli.  Is that correct?

Incidentally, I bought it at Newark Autojumble on impulse and sold it on eBay at TWICE the price!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 07:45:56 PM by twolitre »
Jim Walker.

Offline Grizzly

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 08:07:13 PM »
Hi Jim

Your son's CBT instructor was correct.

It works the same way as cars. If you pass your test in an automatic car then you are only licenced to operate automatic transmission cars.

The DSA are looking for clutch/throttle co-ordination. For example moving slowly in a line of traffic or approaching a roundabout  where you might have to slip the clutch a little in order to execute a smooth entrance onto the roundabout.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 08:24:45 PM by Grizzly »

Offline Blue

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 07:54:41 PM »
people can indeed be rude!

i remember a few years ago i was selling a few bits and pieces at a swapmeet.  a gentleman approached my stall, and without so much as a second glance at a BTH magneto (a particularly rare item fitted to velocette venom/viper clubman models) told me "that's too much to charge for that, you cant ask that price!".  i asked him what he would pay for it and he said "oh no, i dont want it, its just too much for you to charge!" and walked off! i was dumbfounded; it was as though this horrible man was put on earth solely to track me down and criticise my pricing structure, hahaha!

it didnt matter, i sold the magneto ten minutes later at full price, but i think ill always remember that bizarre incident...