Author Topic: 6volt LED replacement bulbs  (Read 35767 times)

Offline greybuffalo

• Advanced Member
  • "The American Indians found out what happens when
    • View Profile
6volt LED replacement bulbs
« on: November 09, 2007, 11:38:42 PM »
Hi there,
Ive been looking to replace the standard 6v bulb with an LED,but read an article that one needs to fit a  regulator ....see here http://pigeonsnest.co.uk/stuff/mz/ledlights/ledlights.html
has anyone here fitted replacements and if so where does one get them?
Thanks

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: 6volt LED replacement bulbs
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 11:50:13 PM »
I haven't personally fitted them as replacements, but you can buy them here: http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/
L.A.B.

Offline twolitre

• Advanced Member
  • ON yer bike!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 09:08:33 PM »
I wanted to use a higher wattage (34/34W) halogen headlamp bulb in my 6 volt Triumph 5TA.  It turned out that the alternator couldn't (quite) handle it.
  I decided to try a 6volt LED tail/brake unit from Paul Goff (easily found via Google) to balance the extra headlamp load.  Charging is now well adequate and all functions perfectly.  I do not have a regulator and Paul Goff's very informative website claims that LEDs are less voltage sensitive than bulbs anyway.
  Are you confusing the use of LEDs in direction indicators?  The (MUCH) lower power consumption means that either load resistors must be fitted to make the flasher unit work - which cancels most of the reason for using diodes, or a flasher unit designed for LED use.
  Look up Paul Goff and read for yourself.  I hope this helps.
  Oh, and I received my parts the day after ordering.  Beat that!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 09:14:24 PM by twolitre »
Jim Walker.

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 03:06:18 AM »
Paul Goff (easily found via Google)

Look up Paul Goff and read for yourself.

Or anybody could just click on the 'norbsa' link in my previous message?

(norbsa = Paul Goff)

L.A.B.

Offline twolitre

• Advanced Member
  • ON yer bike!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 07:14:50 AM »
We all live and learn!
Thanks, LAB.
Jim Walker.

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 05:57:05 AM »
Have gone down this exact path for the same reasons myself intending to use the LED replacement on a two-stroke with 'direct' lighting where the AC current delivered rises and falls with engine revs.
Talked it over with the manufacturer who did NOT recommend their use in this situation. He said they were liable to burn out if the current rose too high.
His were intended for use in a circuit where the electricity supplied was fairly stable within fairly tight parameters.
In my case this meant a bridge rectifier to convert the AC to DC so as to charge a battery plus a zener diode to cope with any excess current. All perfectly normal motorcycle practice but not the cheap and primitive circuit as fitted by the maker donkeys years ago.
Not being an electrickery man it took a little while to get my head around the difference between current and voltage but I slowly got there.
Tis the way to go though, isn't it. You get brighter lights from the same old charging system!
Cheers, Bob

Offline Pigeon.

• Advanced Member
  • Two-strokes for the win
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 12:38:32 AM »
Good to see people finding something useful in my article but please don't get confused by it.

The LED bulbs supplied by the excellent Goffy are designed as direct plug-in replacements for standard incandescent bulbs. They consist of a cluster of small LEDs and the associated ballast resistors, mounted on a standard bayonet base. They can be used on any battery-backed lighting system of the appropriate voltage, just take the incans out and plug the LEDs in.

The system described in my article is a bit different. I am not using plug-in bulbs because part of the objective of the system was to eliminate all non-soldered connections in the MZ aquaria light fittings, and another objective was to make it look as far as possible as if it still had normal bulbs in it.

So my system uses special "Lumiled" high-power LEDs which are bright enough that you only need one of them and not a cluster. The original bulb holders are removed from the fittings and the Lumileds are mounted on brackets made to fit the space, and the supply wires are soldered to the Lumileds - no more contacts to corrode.

Unlike Goffy's cluster units, Lumileds are sold as plain bare units without any ballast resistors or other control circuitry, and so an additional device is required to stop them blowing up. The range of voltage variation which is observed on the MZ 6V system is such as to make a constant current regulator a better option than a ballast resistor, as the resistor would result in large brightness variations with engine revs and electrical load.

The improved tolerance to voltage variation from the use of a constant-current regulator means that it is possible (although I haven't tried it) to use my system on an unregulated direct-lighting bike, although it won't run on raw AC, so it would be necessary to fit a bridge rectifier and smoothing capacitor in the supply to convert it to reasonable DC.

The need for a different flasher unit is a separate issue and is occasioned by the much lower current consumption of LEDs compared to incandescent bulbs, which disrupts the flash rate of conventional units. The flash rate of the flasher unit described in my article is independent of the current consumption of the load, and can be used equally well with LEDs or with incandescent bulbs.
MZ TS250/1 Supa Five - Volvo 164
Long term project: Supercharged two-stroke diesel engine for the MZ
Be kind to pigeons

Offline Pati

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 08:54:42 AM »

I am lucky to read your tips in installing a LED light. I have one here but the problem is I do not know the exact procedures to do it until I have found this thread. I am afraid that a short circuit happens if I installed it wrong.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 09:31:22 AM by Pati »

B. Cruz

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 07:49:46 PM »
Hi there,
Ive been looking to replace the standard 6v bulb with an LED,but read an article that one needs to fit a  regulator ....see here http://www.robustbuy.com/led-lighting-gadgets-led-flashlights-c-505_1027_730.html
has anyone here fitted replacements and if so where does one get them?
Thanks

I have never tried but i am trying right now.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 07:34:32 AM by B. Cruz »

Offline twolitre

• Advanced Member
  • ON yer bike!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 02:45:29 PM »
I think the need for a regulator relates to single LEDs.
Typically, they run at (I think - without checking) at about four volts and more will burn them out.
They may be mounted in series until the sum total of their voltage matches the supply OR aregulator can be used.

There are loads of LEDs on the internet ready mounted or with resistors built in and with automotive caps to fit normal lamps. Available in 6 or 12 volts, they are not expensive, but are generally negative earth. Positive earth ones can be found or with  a little thought about inulation negative earth ones may often be connected up "back to front"   
Jim.
Jim Walker.

Offline Thumpersloper

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 6 volt LED replacement bulbs
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 09:43:23 AM »
Hello all, I'm Peter and ride a 1934 BSA Sloper outfit.

Interesting to read the talk about LED direct replacement bulbs.

A huge range of 6 and 12v LED's are available at http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com/online-shop-for-led-bulbs-and-light-boards-etc.php including SMD types which are brighter and non directional unlike conventional E3 LED's.

The MT range of LED's are ideal for use in most British and continental motorcycle tail lamps. I use one in my Slopers stop/tail lamp along with a 6v 5w BA15s bulb in the pilot lamp.