Author Topic: 1960 Greeves all orginal  (Read 6446 times)

Offline tammyanddave

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
1960 Greeves all orginal
« on: July 13, 2009, 07:34:42 PM »
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone had any pointers for me here. My hubby has what we have been told is a 1960 Greeves Motorcross special model # 24MOS/2/808 Engine 36A serial 085E 348, decal District 37 1970 AMA Sports Community, front plate 646 CX. It runs and rides like a dream, all origianl with factory bash plate and megaphone exhaust attach. Original carb switched to Japanese carb, what we have heard was common.  We were unable to register her in state of AZ r/t spark arrester and noise pollution. We have moved to KY state, don't even have to register her. I would like to replace gas tank r/t dings and have her painted, agreed with hubby would find her history 1st. He first saw and tried to buy the bike in early 90's, was an older gentlman with beginning Alzhiemers, he wouldn't sell. About 10 yrs later at the corner store hubby noticed the same bike in the back of a young kids truck, the kid hated the bike and sold it to my hubby for 400.00, a steal. She has been down for about 15 yrs, but pulled her out of the garage yesterday, gave her a bath, shes got spark, even found a local dealer with straight 30 wt oil for her, we are very excited. Bike always ran and road like a dream. We drained her and treated her with rust prevention when we put her away for storage, just need to replace hoses and get tires.
I would appreciate any and all help, I do have the last tag from when she was registered.  I must say, I look at her an just know that the dings and scrapes have an awesome history and I would hate to erase that, think we should restore her and save the old gas tank with all the history...torn on the repaint though, I am sure there are some awesome stories behind the wear marks....thanks for any time and info, would love any feedback!
Tammy :)

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1960 Greeves all orginal
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 10:48:59 PM »
Tammy,

I suggest you contact/join 'The Greeves Riders Association' (UK) as they may have access to any factory records?
http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/

They apparently have the factory dispatch registers, so may be able to tell you which dealer it was sent to originally?:
http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/article.php?id=6

My hubby has what we have been told is a 1960 Greeves Motorcross special model # 24MOS/2/808 Engine 36A serial 085E 348,

Could "24/MOS" actually be MDS? As 24MDS ties in with the Villiers 36A for 1962?
http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/identify.php
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 11:04:42 PM by L.A.B. »
L.A.B.

Offline tammyanddave

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 01:23:01 AM »
Thank you for the links, fabulous!
You are correct, I just got an email from a vintage bike website, and he suggested the model # is MDS not MOS and may be 1962 - 1965, I will definitely try the links and Frank Conleys website as I hear he is the "Greeves Guy".  I really appreciate the feed back. I also contacted the 37th District AMA and gave them all the #'s, including the race plate # so I am very confident they will come up with something for me too, since we know the bike was raced for several years and it had their decal on it. Thanks again for the sites, I will keep ya'll posted.
Tammy ;)

Offline tammyanddave

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 01:49:06 AM »
All right, I got the correct number this time, sorry and thanks, it is actually 24MCS/2/808 with Villiers 36A serial 085E 348. I didn't see it on the list of bikes at the links you gave me, very close, so I emailed them and will keep you updated, thanks again.

Offline tammyanddave

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 06:03:03 PM »
Yet another update...thanks!

The year on the bike is still a mystery, probably 62-64, it is a motocross special type 2, which is right on with the Villiers 36A, built that way for the extra 10 horsepower for the races. I am told the "up" exhaust on her is definitely aftermarket, not orginal. The factory original bash plate and megaphone exhaust I am advised are very rare. The bike also still has the factory 1/4 turn on the clutch, which I have been advised was switched by many riders to a 1/2 turn related to tooo much power.  I am still awating info from the District 37 AMA which she was registered and raced in. The orginal owner did say he raced her many years and did Barstow to Vegas quite a few times.  I apprciate the pointers and links guys, have a great day and I will continue to post updates, and a video with her running soon.