Author Topic: Sturmey Archer LS Gearbox  (Read 7845 times)

Offline Martin_UK

• Advanced Member
  • Have Triumphs....and a very large toolkit...
    • View Profile
Sturmey Archer LS Gearbox
« on: July 24, 2006, 07:29:09 AM »
Hello

Looking for information and photo of a Sturmey Archer LS type Gearbox.

Alternatively if you have one for sale please get in touch.

Regards,

Martin

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Sturmey Archer LS Gearbox
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 10:38:22 AM »
Hi Martin,
Sturmey Archer made the LS gearbox from 1922 to 1930 (3 speed with the number prefixed either "LW" or :HW").
There are a large number of variations to be found because they were made with different casings, diffferent kickstarters, different mainshaft lengths, etc, etc, to suit customers requirements.
You need to say what bike you want the box for.
The Vintage Motor Cycle Cl ub Library holds a lot of original Sturmey Archer literature and you need to go through it closely to work out what suits your bike.
I got to know Sturmey Archer boxes quite well through my interest in vintage Matchless. Matchless used Sturmey Archer boxes on all their models except one thoughout the 1920's until Sturmey Archer stopped making bixes around 1933 or so.
They are easy to work on but the number of variations found makes life a bit frustrating at times.
Cheers, Bob

Offline Martin_UK

• Advanced Member
  • Have Triumphs....and a very large toolkit...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 06:25:03 AM »
Hello Bob,

Thanks for the info. I didn't realise the VMCC had Sturmey Archer Records. The gearbox should be on a bike being restored by a friend of mine who isn't on the internet, its a 1932 AJS S10, all he knows is that it is a one or two year only gearbox with  a two stud casing...and thats it...he would like to find out some more information...and ideally find a casing.

Kind Regards,

Martin

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 08:29:49 AM »
Hi again Martin,
Glad to be of help.
Did you know you can now search the VMCC Library on line? I just checked and they list LS stuff for both 1929 and 30.
Personally I suspect your friends bike is a little earlier than 1932 and could be 1930 or 31. Usually the S denotes 1930 or 31 and 32 is identified with a T prefix. AJS folded and Matchless bought them in 1931. Records of this period get a little hazy particularly as it coincides with bad economic times. Your friends bike could have sat around in a showroom for a while before getting sold. Someone who really knows AJS could be more precise.
Knowing the exact year can be important as 1930 is the end of the vintage period and major vintage events like the Banbury Run won't accept entries for later machines.
I'd like to hear how you get on. Cheers, Bob