Author Topic: Magneto timing  (Read 4100 times)

Offline Grizzly

• Advanced Member
  • Tell the truth and shame the devil!
    • View Profile
Magneto timing
« on: January 13, 2010, 04:02:02 PM »
I need to re-time the magneto on my B31 as it has been off for repair.

I will be using the rod down the plug hole method, as the cylinder head is fitted.

Any pointers most greatfully received.

Cheers

Grizzly
The older I get the faster I was

Offline Goldie

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Magneto timing
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 10:52:31 PM »
I use the old fashioned method.

1. Put machine on center stand, set points to correct gap and remove timing pinnion.

2. Set piston at TDC (top dead center) on compression stroke.

3. Insert timing stick into plug hole.

4. Scribe line on timing stick in line with a mark on head.

5. Remove stick and scribe another line 3/8th inch for example above first line (Check handbook for correct measurment).

6. Put machine in a high gear and rotate rear wheal backwards sending the piston down the bore a little way.

7. Keeping timing stick upright, rotate wheal forwards slowly on compression stroke bringing the piston back up the bore until the top mark on the stick lines up with mark on head. The piston is now in the correct position.

8. Insert a small piece of fag paper between points when they are closed, and then rotate points assembly until the fag paper can be gently withdrawn as the points begin to open.

9. Carefully put magneto timing pinnion on magneto shaft, being careful not to move the shaft. If it is a tapered shaft i usually give the pinnion a sharp tap onto the shaft with a box spanner before tightening it up.

!0. Go through the same procedure again with the fag paper to make sure the shaft did not move.If the points grip the paper tight or no grip at all then the shaft has moved, and you will have to take the pinnion off and go through it all again.

11. In most cases all the above refer to setting the timing in the fully advanced position, so you will have to set your mag to suit via the retard and advance lever.

12. Always make sure that the piston is coming up towards TDC when setting the correct position for timing, so the slack is taken up in the right direction, or else you will get a false setting

Hope this helps
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 11:16:19 PM by Goldie »

Offline Grizzly

• Advanced Member
  • Tell the truth and shame the devil!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 05:21:09 PM »
Thanks very much Goldie. That doesn't sound too bad.

Cheers

Grizzly :)
The older I get the faster I was

Offline Goldie

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 05:49:10 PM »
It's quite easy, after you have done it a few times.

In my view it is critical to get the piston in the correct firing position (top scribe mark) and the fag paper just starts to pull out from the points as they begin to lose their grip on the paper just as they start to open.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 05:55:43 PM by Goldie »