Author Topic: Raleigh Light Delivery Van  (Read 4712 times)

Offline mgbritcar

• View Profile
Raleigh Light Delivery Van
« on: January 19, 2010, 06:09:08 PM »
I have a 1932 Raleigh 3 wheel Light Delivery Van with the Sturmey Archer 600 cc side valve engine.  I am looking for an ignition system for the engine.  There is a coil, and I think the ignition points are supposed to run off the back of the generator (which I don't have either).  I understand that these engines were fitted to various period motorcycles. Does anyone have a source of parts or a drawing of what it is supposed to look like?   

Offline Justin_Faithfull

• Advanced Member
  • ELEPHANTS - WHERE?
    • View Profile
Re: Raleigh Light Delivery Van
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 07:27:42 PM »
I can't help directly, but I did check the Vintage Motor Cycle Club library & they have information on Raleigh Vans. They will sell you photocopies at a reasonable price. Here is their link.
http://www.vmcc.net/library.htm

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Raleigh Light Delivery Van
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 09:55:56 PM »
This type of dynamo fitted with a set of points on the end was a fairly common fitment in the 1930's. It enabled manufacturers to convert an engine designed for magneto ignition to coil ignition simply and cheaply. Several makers used it. Royal Enfield and New Imperial immediately spring to mind as I sit here. Components are still fairly easily found.

There is nothing inherently wrong with the idea, the major problem from a modern day usage point of view is the low output of the dynamo. It was barely adequate for battery charging and lights when new. It goes nowhere near meeting modern expectations for lights, stoplight, indicators,etc. Its no great problem, you just have to be aware of it and be alert for signs the dynamo output isn't keeping up with battery usage. Nor should you expect bright white lights, an interesting shade of yellow is more like it.

The only other problem I experienced with a Royal Enfield fitted with this system was poor oil sealing between the engine and dynamo so that the dynamo had a tendency to get drowned with oil and stop charging. As I was a very green and very broke teenage apprentice at the time I suspect I was the major source of the the problem as I didn't have a clue what to do about it so merely wiped the excess oil off and kept on riding until it happened again. I never did anything to actually cure it.
Lucas did a convenient booklet covering how to look after this sort of stuff, "Instructions for Lucas Electric Lighting & Ignition Equipment for Motorcycles". It covers your Raleigh & Sturmey Archer engine very nicely and as Justin says above, the VMCC Library will have a copy.
 Cheers,