Author Topic: Has anyone heard of a King Motorbike  (Read 6906 times)

Offline JOBBLY

• View Profile
Has anyone heard of a King Motorbike
« on: February 01, 2010, 09:15:06 PM »
I have been passed down a King motorbike. I have been told its circ.1905 peddle assisted, belt driven motorbike. That is about all I know, I was wondering if anyone has heard of this bike? or can give me any ideas on where I could look to find out about this bike. My grandfather who was restoring it struggled to find parts but that doesnt mean that there arent any around. i am looking at whether or not to restore it myself or to sell it to a buy who has been after the bike for many years. I would love any help at all.

thanks in advance.

John

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone heard of a King Motorbike
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 09:35:04 PM »
According to my copy of "The British Motorcycle Directory"

Kings were manufactured in Cambridge between 1901-1905.

A 1905 model would most likely have been fitted with a 2.75-3.5 hp 'Daw' or 'MMC' engine, with either direct belt drive, or a two speed chain drive.

I suggest you contact the VMCC, as they will probably have more information?
http://www.vmcc.net/
L.A.B.

Offline JOBBLY

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 09:37:26 PM »
Thank you for that. At least it seems that King is actually a motorbike not just a name that my grandfather partially deciphered. Its a belt driven bike.

Thanks again.

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 06:33:26 AM »
Hi John,
"King" is an excellent name for a motorcycle - we had at least one maker of "King" motorcycles out here in Australia pre WW1. If you can post some photos of the bike, it should be possible to comment further. Is there a family story that goes with it?
Leon

Offline JOBBLY

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 08:02:34 PM »
Well the only story I have on it is that, my grand father was a carpenter in his town and had a job outside of it that took a long to do so he and the family became quite close... the gentlemen that the work was being done for passed away and the son said that he was selling the place. My grandfather asked if he could buy some fo the stuff out of the old shed that the gentleman had. The son said he could have what ever he wants as he had been in there and found it to be junk. The bike was in there buried up a heap of rubbish. It still had the original lamps near by too. I havent got any photos as yet as it is in storage and as I dont have the space in my flat for it. But I shall see what I can do.

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 09:48:26 PM »
A nice story, and if your grandfather left it to you it's a nice link with the past. Keep in mind that not every motorcycle on the planet has to be restored and ridden right now - there are other possibilities. Before you decide what to do with it, it would be worth deciding exactly what's there and what might be done with it. It may be possible, for example, just to reassemble what's there and keep it as a display item for a while. It might grow on you (in which case you might restore and ride one day - serious fun) or it might leave you cold in which case you could dispose of it. Best not to be hasty at the moment! When you get the cance, take photos and we can comment further.
Leon

Offline JOBBLY

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 10:03:31 PM »
Thanks for that Leon,

I have had it in my possession for a while now, but I have been o/seas for 4 years and in that time my parents have had a fan/restorer asking about the bike since my grand father died. I have held onto it for the simple reason that i have not been in the country to deal with it. Since returning I have moved out into my own home and had other issues... and the fan continued to ask about it. I have only recently had a chance to actually sit down and say that he can get it valued by an enthusiast.  i would love to restore it for the simple reason that my grandfather got in running and allowed me to ride it for a bit before continuing to restore it himself. I just dont have the mechanical skills to restore it and this fan has said t5hat he wants to restore it as his surname is King and has had his eye on it for a while since he heard about it thru my grandfather.

i guess i really need to think things thru a bit more before I make my final decision.

thanks again leon.

Offline Dirt_Track

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 05:54:57 AM »
G'day all
Not normally the one to throw a spanner in the works BUT.....do I smell a rat?
I would be a lot more positive with this one if we saw a recent photo!
If I had been left a rare bird such as this I would have worn out the digital camera by now.
I will apologise in advance if I am out of line with this one.
Photo please.
Howard.

Offline JOBBLY

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 08:26:18 PM »
No rats here... just that the bike has been packed away since my grandfather died as I was heading to europe for several years and up until recently havent had the chance to get the bike out of storage.

I will endevour to get the bike out at leaset for a while to get some shots of it to post on here for comments.