Author Topic: Info on BSA 1940's bikes for a novice!  (Read 12739 times)

Offline BSA1

• View Profile
Info on BSA 1940's bikes for a novice!
« on: February 14, 2010, 04:54:25 PM »
I have always admired classic bikes and am looking for something similar to the below.  I only have a budget of £3.5 max.  I would like sometng like the one in the picture but realise it would be above my budget.  Could I get an ex-Army one.  What are the engines like, are they easy to work on, are spares OK etc etc, or have you any other suggestions for somethng similar which maybe a better option.

Offline BSA1

• View Profile
Re: Info on BSA 1940's bikes for a novice!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 04:57:10 PM »
Are these the same bikes......would it be a crime to change the livery to the above?

« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 04:59:52 PM by BSA1 »

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 05:45:29 PM »
Are these the same bikes......

Not quite, the army bike is a 500cc sidevalve BSA WM20 model, while the first one is an overhead valve R4 model.

You should still be able to pick up a decent WM20 from a private sale, for around £3.5k if you keep looking. One from a dealer could cost a bit more?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 06:00:42 PM by L.A.B. »
L.A.B.

Offline Revband

• Advanced Member
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Revband
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Revband
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 06:18:06 PM »
If you don't mind going just a bit newer, something like this can be bought for around £2500.

I bought this one as a none runner and not registered around a year ago, it now stands me to less than £2000.

1946 BSA B32.

Offline BSA1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 08:12:33 AM »
Thanks for the replies folks.  She's a beauty 'Revband'.  What model is it?  What is the better engine to go for....

Can anyone recommend any Books/Internet sites etc so I can do more research.  My old mechanic partner now in his seventies has a collection of over 20 AJS, triallers etc and a Fergie but he doesn't know much about BSA's.

Offline Revband

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 01:26:27 PM »
Hi BSA1

This is a 1946 BSA B32 competition, which is the forerunner to the Gold Star. a short history lesson, BSA introduced the B31 350cc OHV in 1945 as a bike for the working man, it was a derivative of the M20 side valve engine, in 1946 they introduced the B32 competition using the same engine as the B31, but with 21inch front wheel, chrome mudguards and slightly different gearing, in 1951 it was available with alloy cylinder and head, this led on to the Gold Star 350cc and 500cc.

There is also a 500cc version the B33, all the B31 B32 B33 range are very reliable with bomb proof engines, there is also a good parts availability.

This one has been overbored to 400cc has been ported and has Goldie racing cams fitted, its still running in so not sure yet how quick it will be but it feels very lively.

A good source of info is,   www.bsaownersclub.co.uk

Offline BSA1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 02:26:06 PM »
Thanks Revband, I am also a member of the series 2 LandRover forum and from that have been pm'd and  offered a B31 but it looks later than yours (too modern for me) and a Gold Star short stroke racing twin for 3K.  I havn't seen any pics as yet.  http://www.series2club.info/forum/index.php?topic=33473.0

Thanks for the lesson, good to hear the engines are good.  I have a bit of time now so will look at the range and the owners club.  Thanks again.

Offline BSA1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 05:59:30 PM »
What is a 1937 M1, are the 600cc engines etc OK, spares? and is hand shift a drawback..... :-\

Offline Revband

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 09:09:06 PM »
Hi again

Personally I don't know of an M1, could you mean the M21 600cc side valve?, if so it uses the same crankcases as the B series and lots of parts are interchangeable, but as with all old bikes some parts are difficult to find but mostly ok.

Hand change is an acquired taste, mostly the bikes with it fitted are slow revving torquey  engines which pull like a train with little need to change gear to often.

To get an idea of spares availability see this sites spares section, also check out Burton Bike Bits and Draganfly motorcycles.

Regards
Dennis

Offline BSA1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 07:10:30 AM »
Thanks Dennis, sorry yes M21.  I'll have a chat with the parts suppliers today - thanks.  Somebody was saying side valves burn exhaust valves and can strip magneto gears if you forget to retard the ignition (LR series 2 club forum!)  L.A.B. says the R4 model is OHV (first picture) perhaps that would be better, I have not seen an R4 model listed anywhere yet.............

Thanks for your help again.

Regards Chris
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 07:16:03 AM by BSA1 »

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 07:44:12 PM »
I have not seen an R4 model listed anywhere yet.............

I doubt you will, apparently the R4 wasn't a particularly common model!

http://www.vintagebike.co.uk/Bike%20Directories/BSA%20Bikes/pages/BSA-R4-36(2).html

However even rare bikes do turn up occasionally!
L.A.B.

Offline Revband

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 08:21:50 PM »
Hi Chris

I don't know of any problems as you describe with the BSA side valve engines, in fact they have a very good reputation for reliability, perhaps if anyone reading these posts knows differently they can advise.

As I have said previously the B series was developed from the M series and used the same (almost identical) bottom end, with just a longer con rod different barrel and head, also the M series continued for a few years alongside the B series, I don't think it likely that BSA would develop a flawed engine, more likely to start again.

Please don't get the wrong idea I am not trying to sway you to buy BSA, just trying to be constructive, as well as three BSAs I also have Triumph, Royal Enfield and Velocette bikes.

Incidentally all the B series are OHV.

Regards
Dennis
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 08:23:46 PM by Revband »

Offline BSA1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 08:00:29 AM »
I have looked at Nortons 16',18's etc also your B32 looks a beauty Revband, somebody has sent me a pic of there 1948 M33 also which sounds ideal with 500cc OHV and girder forks.  There is nothing for sale out their at the moment apart from a couple of WDM20's but I want civvy.  I think it will be a case of carry on with the research and when something comes up make a decision.  I like the look of the early stuff, with all the extra bits/features.  It will be more of a show and shine bike and something to sit back and admire with a beer in my garage.  I will take it on the Box Hill, Newlands Corners run occasionally also so am not to worried about it being impractical.

This is the link re-exhaust valves....

http://sump-publishing.co.uk/bsa%20m20.htm

« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 08:41:03 AM by BSA1 »

Offline Blue

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 02:25:51 PM »
Burning out exhaust valves on sidevalve engines is a rare occurence that mainly happens to inexperienced or ignorant riders.  Even if it does happen to you there are few simpler operations than replacing a valve in a sidevalve motor.
As for stripping magneto gears, this occurs for the exact same reason - ignorance or inexperience - and occurs on any magneto-ignited engine whether sidevalve, over-headvalve or even over-head-cam in some exotic cases.  The gears are made from fibre (or alloy nowadays) and designed to strip if a motor siezes or backfires to try to prevent damage to the rest of the unit.  Sometimes the fibre gears break down over time and once one tooth is chipped off the rest will inevitably follow fairly rapidly; but the gear can be easily replaced with modern supplements.

I would personally advise you to stick to sidevalves, due to their inherent simplicity, reliability, quietness and general charm.  If you're dying for the higher performance available from OHVs then i wouldn't discourage you in the least - BSA 'B' models are very fine machines - but the old chuggers sound ideal for your described situation.  Plus they're usually cheaper to buy, cheaper to run and parts are more plentiful, particularly cycle-parts.

Good luck and regards

Offline BSA1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2010, 05:03:57 PM »
Thanks 'Blue' if a civvy M20/21/22 sidevalve with foot gear change ever comes up then I'll take it  ;)  The handchange could be a bit tricky apparently, OK with a side car but not so solo  :-\  any thoughts  ???

Thanks Chris