Author Topic: Help need with this engine  (Read 4731 times)

Offline glaser 31

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Help need with this engine
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 03:48:26 AM »
I think you have yourself a 269cc Sun Vitesse engine of about 1916. I can't tell you a great deal more than that as I'm a bit shaky about really early two-strokes.
Sun were an early manufacturer who lasted into the 60's although they were known more for their frame fittings and fixings than their complete bikes. As far as I remember in the early days of two strokes they also tried to market their own two-stroke engine and you could buy a Sun with either their two stroke engine, the Vitesse (VTS) or with a Villiers engine fitted. The Vitesse engine faded away in the early 1920's and Villiers predominated.
There are still a few Vitesse powered Suns around but I don't know if anyone else used the engine.
Cheers,

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 02:02:32 AM »
We had quite a few Sun VTS machines out here in the war years, either branded as "Sun", or sometimes painted up in the livery of a local manufacturer. I did some work on the attached engine for a friend a while back: it comes from a bike that was branded "Bullock" (Adelaide cycle manufacturer), which was in reality just a re-badged Sun VTS. These bikes were distibuted in Adelaide by local firm James Hill & Sons, Ltd. At the time we couldn't locate an appropriate oversize piston (deflector type), so the compression is poor. If your engine happens to have good compression, and you'd like to part with it, let me know and I will pass details on to my friend.
Leon

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 02:03:22 AM »
Other attachment...

Offline glaser 31

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 09:38:59 AM »
thanks fore all this fine info.
there is no reason fore my to keep the engine,when I only have the engine.
But I will not split it,it look fine inside the piston is a littel over 70mm.
sow if your friend want to buy it ,send me a PM mail.
regards