Author Topic: Spherol  (Read 8588 times)

Offline TrevorR

• View Profile
Spherol
« on: March 20, 2010, 05:05:41 PM »
There used to be a kind of semi-liquid grease for gearboxes, called Spherol. Does anybody know if it's still available, and if so, where I can get it, please.
Thanks.
Trevor

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Spherol
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 05:36:17 PM »
Spheerol?

Castrol Spheerol L/EP0

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=9014109&contentId=7027101

Castrol L/EP0
Lithium based, semi-fluid grease. Ideally suited for use in grease packed differentials and gearboxes requiring a semi-liquid, self-levelling grease

http://www.rgracing.co.uk/Castrol_Classic_Oils.htm

CASTROL Classic Spheerol L/EPO
The Castrol Spheerol L-EP range of greases are lithium based general purpose extreme pressure greases, based upon mineral oils and incorporating extreme pressure agents to protect bearings components subject to heavy and shock loadings.
Castrol Spheerol L-EP greases are available in a range of consistencies to suit most applications, from an NLGI 2 for general purpose bearing lubrication to an NLGI 0 self-levelling grease suitable for centralised lubrication systems and grease filled gearboxes.

http://www.holden.co.uk/displayproduct.asp?sg=&pgCode=016&sgName=Search&pgName=Oil%2C+Grease+%26+Fluids&agCode=0171&agName=Grease&pCode=094.645
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 05:41:10 PM by L.A.B. »
L.A.B.

Offline TrevorR

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 10:02:16 PM »
That's really helpful.
Many thanks,
Trevor

Offline twolitre

• Advanced Member
  • ON yer bike!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 09:38:46 PM »
This is a subject close to my current dilema. Another "dilema" is, have I spelled that correctly!?
I have recently purchased a 1955 Triumph 5T Speed Twin which came with gearbox grease in the gearbox (not necessarily Castrol). The gear change is very sweet compared with my 1959 5TA which I have had for several years and always filled with the recommended oil.

My conundrum is, could I change the 5TA to gearbox grease with advantage? Or am I risking gearbox damage on the 5T by continuing with the grease.

Any comments very welcome, especially if based on experience.

Jim Walker.
Jim Walker.

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 09:44:06 PM »
Another "dilema" is, have I spelled that correctly!?

My conundrum is, could I change the 5TA to gearbox grease with advantage? Or am I risking gearbox damage on the 5T by continuing with the grease.

- Two 'M's, Jim (Dilemma)  ;)

I dunno about the grease though. :-\
L.A.B.

Offline TrevorR

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 11:13:55 AM »
I found a tub of Spheerol on Ebay for about £5.00. I used to run it in the Burman gearbox on my Series A Vincent, and always rated it highly. I'm now working on a connector to pump it into the box on my Triumph Model P.

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 08:48:14 PM »
You got a Model P too?
Any parts (clutch, fuel tank, mag etc) going spare? ;)

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 12:27:11 AM »
Substituting grease for oil in a gearbox was always the bodgers trick for solving oil leak and noise problems from wear. Triumph were quite firm on insisting heavy oil and grease should not be used in these boxes as it relies on splash lubrication to get oil everywhere around it, especially to the footchange and kickstart mechanisms.
I have various bikes fitted with Sturmey Archer boxes where grease is the recommended lubricant. Even so, they also recommended adding a teaspoonful or two of oil as well, then tilting the bike to the left with the engine running so the oil could get down along the mainshaft and in between the mainshaft and sleeve gear. They didn't trust grease entirely.
Albion boxes are the opposite, always lubricated with oil, no matter how old, but I regularly come across examples filled with grease. Invariably they leak like crazy when it is replaced with the correct oil. A proper overhaul with new bearings and bushes fitted sorts them out and is a much more appropriate action than hiding the problem with grease.
As I see it both gearboxes sound in need of some TLC. Keep riding your '59 5TA, overhaul the 5T box and then once it's right and on the road use the knowledge gained to sort out the 5TA box.
A nicely sorted box makes riding so much more pleasant. It mightn't be flash like new paint or chrome work but its much more satisfying.
Cheers,

Offline twolitre

• Advanced Member
  • ON yer bike!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 11:31:34 AM »
Thanks 33d6.

I do not think there is any problem with the 5TA gearbox, I was just making a comparison. The 5T with grease in has the smoothest 'feel' to the gearchange and stationary gear selection of any bike I have ever ridden. Smoother in fact than my W650 Kawasaki owned from just over one year old.
I think I had best put my 5T back on oil to see what the result is. The next question being "how do I get the grease out?".

By the way, I was told by an oil company rep. that the viscosity of their gearbox grease came down to the equivalent of about SAE50 when warm. Whether Spherol does the same I do not know.

Jim.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 11:39:16 AM by twolitre »
Jim Walker.