Author Topic: Triumph T120- Running on Methanol  (Read 3172 times)

Offline triper

• View Profile
    • Email
Triumph T120- Running on Methanol
« on: May 26, 2010, 03:45:11 PM »
Hi, new to forum, I'm running a Triumph 650 twin in a Cooper 500 single seater (1955) and need advice on running on methanol, currently running on petrol. Any help appreciated. The engine will be used for a Triton project in the long term.

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Triumph T120- Running on Methanol
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 03:04:37 AM »
There is little point in running your engine on methanol unless you have radically altered it to take full advantage of what methanol has to offer. At that stage you have an all out racing engine totally unsuited for road use. I don't know what you have in mind for your Triton but unless it also is for all out competition use you are making life hard for yourself.
An engine using methanol can use a far higher compression ratio than can one on straight petrol but you need to get more air and more fuel in there to take advantage of the higher compression ratio. This means enlarging ports, bigger valves, extreme cams, etc, etc. Fuel consumption goes through the roof so bigger fuel lines, bigger carb, bigger jets(much, much, bigger jets). Its all been done before with Triumph engines so there are plenty of people around with the knowledge. They are just in motorcycle racing circles and not so much in car racing.
Sounds like a lot of fun.
Cheers,