Author Topic: Dispatch rider in WWII  (Read 35901 times)

yebbut

Re: Dispatch rider in WWII
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2011, 09:08:44 PM »
right thats two of us in agreement wetdog

at the three o clock position by the horn is a spark plug, above that are rocker supports of the dog ear type.
you contention about the magneto/magdyno is wrong, lots of vintage eevn post vintage era V twins had a mag in FRONT of the engine.
I agree its V-twin but its not a Matchless just compare te two pics there is far too much open air over the engine on the Matchless X.

this bike is a continental mongrel, certainly looks like Matchless  logo on the tank.

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2011, 10:51:36 PM »
this bike is NOT a Matchless

This is a very strange statement.
Compare all the bits.

Same forks.
Same 3 bar frame (which CANNOT be a co-incidence).
Same wheels.
Same brakes.
Matchless paint scheme on the tank. (but no visible logo ).
Same bolt pattern/location on the visible engine bits.
Rear cylinder and nuts just visible under the riders coat.
Magdyno in correct location for a v-twin 990cc.
Twin fishtails just visible through the back wheel - top one quite high, as v-twin.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 11:05:38 PM by R »

yebbut

« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2011, 11:04:29 PM »
 Can any one here overlay the two photos to compare?
my pooter skills are not up to it.

Granted the majority of the bike is Matchless but its had a whole lots of engine  alterations, either a different ohv engine or, even a different ohv top end grafted on.

A very neat job too
From what I have seen of continental machines of the era its a possibility, certainly if its an Austrian or German reg they would have had the technical skills to do it.

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2011, 11:49:22 PM »
It has been discussed somewhere else that the rider could be George Rowley - AJS Factory rider  ?

If so, then this just may be a factory test bike (on test on the Continent ).
But only after the amalgamation with AMC.

The background is an interesting pattern of stuff - its also been suggested the "ohv" bit is an illusion of the background. Or a doctored photo, factory even, of an ohv...

Unless we can see the other side, its hard to know for certain.

P.S. Unless 2 photos are taken from EXACTLY the same viewpoint / angle of the bike, overlaying them will produce size differences.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 11:53:55 PM by R »

Offline Justin_Faithfull

• Advanced Member
  • ELEPHANTS - WHERE?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2011, 01:45:15 AM »
Nobody has mentioned that the very unique toolbox just in front of the saddle springs, which is oval in section, & is the same on both bikes. Taking into account that one is circa 1929 & the other circa 1930, this would allow of some differences. I think the bike is definitely a Matchless (or AJS equivalent).

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2011, 01:57:48 AM »
Nobody has mentioned that the very unique toolbox just in front of the saddle springs, which is oval in section, & is the same on both bikes.

Useful comment, just another plank in a raft of the same.

I think the bike is definitely a Matchless (or AJS equivalent).

Nope, in 1929 AJS and Matchless were 2 quite different companies.
This was built as a Matchless.
Someone who knows these things says the forks were altered for 1930, so 1930 its not.

If it was made into something different after the AMC takeover, then that is something else again....

Wish we could see the other side...

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2011, 05:43:00 AM »
If you look closely at that "ohv" pic, you can see the fins for the sidevalve head, and the exhaust pipe exactly where the sidevalve pipe should be.  If it was ohv, this just cannot be.

The "rocker support post" appears to be something on the other side of the bike ?

yebbut

« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2011, 11:10:09 AM »
you must have a better screen than mine, I go u to x400 before it pixilates

Anyway after close scrutiny I concede defeat I can just about make out the head fins, whats behind is a continuation of the back ground on the left

990 sv it is.

wish it was mine

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2011, 09:05:24 PM »
If you zoom in under the tank, well before it pixilates, the sidevalve head fins and that fir cone are visible - the fir cone is directly behind the white blob (spark plug).
Think fir cone, rather than rocker post supports.

http://www.cybermotorcycle.com/gallery/matchless/Matchless_1930_ohv_14-802.htm
http://www.veteran-motorcycle.com/images/Matchless/29X/MATCHLESSX29.jpg

wish it was mine

Ditto.

Offline r80gs

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2011, 10:33:38 PM »
Here we go again;

The matchless 750, according to Gramps, was not a scrambler (that was a possible suggestion from me, however wrong it may have been) and it was pre war. It was built to run with a sidecar and as such pulled in one direction under acceleration (he told me which but I don't remember or feel it important to me even if it may be to you). He changed the sprocket(or some such technical word) so it wasn't so highly geared(might have said that wrong, if it enriches your life to correct me please do). There were many others as he had his first bike whilst he was still at school and he left school very young.

So to the war: although there were two MAIN bikes they were both Triumphs one of which was a standard issue and the other (which officially did not exists) made from bits of a variety of Triumph bikes, he ran both on the same number plates(illegally clearly). He had a blue and white arm band that allowed him to ride as fast as he could without being stopped. I'm not clear about the next point but he disconnected the limiter(this could have been on trucks which he drove for a period through the war rather than bikes). As far as refuelling goes there were army refuelling depose set up along most major routes.

Certain facts may not be entirely accurate but please remember what I'm trying to do, and why, and show enough imagination to appreciate the circumstance in which I'm trying to achieve them. What I consider a fact is that he did do London to Huddersfield and back, a journey he suggested today(without prompt or reference) was 420miles, on a regular basis. This has been supported by his word, my grandmothers and my fathers throughout my living memory and that of the fore mentioned.

I would happily prove this is doable (for a charity of your choice) if anyone is good enough to lend me an appropriate Triumph or lesser bike on which to do so. Sadly certain quarters value their shiny garage ornaments more than they value the opportunity to honour the ethos and sacrifice that helped create them.

For those that have offered help and encouragement, thank you.

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2011, 11:00:16 PM »
As already mentioned, you or your grandfathers memory is not what it used to be - Matchless did not make a 750cc bike prewar.

Or anything like that capacity really, unless it was really ancient - 770cc was a popular size a decade or 2 earlier. (in many makes of bikes).

Its my understanding that sidecars generally pull to one side in some circumstances, its impossible to get a neutral balance all the time. And need to be steered, all the time. Old timers say you can tell a first time sidecar driver - they have bits of hedge in their teeth !!

Hopethishelps.

Offline Norton55

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2011, 01:01:51 AM »
First filming session is going to be on Wednesday over the tops between Harrogate and Otley. Only bikers available ride a new bmw and a new triumph but it will be good to practise on.   

The bikes my Grandpa rode were an AGS 1920 250c, a Matchless 1930 750cc and an Army Triumph 500cc. These are the ones he can remember there are more and his fastest bike was made from parts pilfered from the army parts department. We are going to go through his cigarette cards, postcards and photos to see if any of them refresh his memory.

He used to go from London to Leicester every other day. When he got to Leicester he disconnect his speedo and went to visit his wife in Huddersfield, making it back to London the same night.

Don't really want to add to all the confusion, but it could be possible that your grandfather is mistaken regarding the capacity of the Matchless. If the Matchless was from around 1930/1931 as you said, it could possibly have been a 400cc Matchless Silver Arrow SV V twin of which 37 examples were purchased and tested by the War Office for signal duties (British Motorcycle Forces 1925-45 by Orchard and Madden).
Hope this helps.

yebbut

« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2011, 03:23:47 PM »
I believe that the blue white armband was  a Royal Signals armband, while it may have authorised him to go as fast as he liked, [and I am not too sure on that point,] it did not make the bike go any faster.

You will have to excuse the slight scepticism here from some quarters, a lot of us know what its like to attempt the same sort of distances on old bikes, in fact some of us were there.

Its still a nice project, just don't spoil it by lack of research and hasty assumption.

Not many folk have either the inclination to get their bikes shiney or otherwise out in this weather for someone elses project, and , maybe they dont have the spare time or cash for such a jolly either.

remarks  such as " Sadly certain quarters value their shiny garage ornaments more than they value the opportunity to honour the ethos and sacrifice that helped create them."
are liable to alienate those from whom you seek help, quite quickly
The last part of the sentence is pure bollocks.

PS
I suggest you go to the Real Classic site http://www.realclassic.co.uk/messages.html and ask for Woodie, who has a fund of info about the signals units.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 06:30:44 PM by yebbut »