Author Topic: Dispatch rider in WWII  (Read 35906 times)

Offline r80gs

• View Profile
    • Email
Dispatch rider in WWII
« on: December 30, 2010, 10:36:58 AM »
I'm re-riding and filming routes my grandfather used to take as a dispatch rider in the war. (Slightly ironically I'll be on my BMW R80GS). Unfortunately I need to do it as soon as possible so hope to have it done by the end of January. The main route is likely to take the A roads from Huddersfield down to London and may cross over to France. The route may change after talking to him in more depth but I'm happy to make detours to points of interest.

He also drove trucks and was a big fan of speedway so I'd like to incorporate this in the trip also. Does anyone have recommendations for appropriate sound tracks from the time? Any background about the role he would have played and other relevant info on research material would be gratefully received.

As he describes it he used to have the pick of the best bikes available at the time. I realise that it will be difficult to find people willing to take out bikes of that era at this time of year. I shall find out more about the bikes he rode but do you know of anyone who would be willing to let me film them (on appropriate bikes).

As he is not able to join me for the trip my aim is to make a film that takes him back to the memories he speaks so fondly of: Stories such as laying his bike down in front of trainee recruits. If you have any other information or could put me on to links that may be of use, for research or support, I'd be very grateful.

Offline esometisse

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Dispatch rider in WWII
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 01:27:57 PM »
No reply so far to your request?
Maybe it has to do with the fact that your project seems a bit half-baked, to put it mildly?
You are not sure about the bikes nor the route you want to take and you don't even own a proper camera to do your filming with?
All you know for sure is that this will have to be completed in less than four weeks?
A bit more preparation would have done the project good but maybe you will find someone to assist you within the more specialized forums.
Try this one: http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=3155626639&frmid=16&msgid=0 (BSA WDM20)
or this one: http://pub4.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=267471303&frmid=103&msgid=0 (Norton WD16H)
Good Luck!

Offline r80gs

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 05:59:00 PM »
Fair comment. ;D
It may well be an impressive failure but we can only but do our best.
I do have an HD SLR that makes incredible quality films and I'm probably buying a small HD helmet cam in the sales.
The photography and film department of the Beaulieu motor museum are kindly helping to advise me on the project. I've found a few wiling participants to practise on, but on modern bikes unfortunately, and will try to post examples by the end of next week.
Visiting my grandpa this weekend for more details so will keep you posted.
Thank you for the links, any support is gratefully received.

Offline rogerwilko

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 09:18:34 PM »
How about some info and pics on your Esometisse. Esometisse! Looks to be an interesting mix.

wetdog

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 11:11:15 AM »
 there is a speedway track down here in Birmingham and my farther had Tiger stevens ( might be a name your relative knows ) dirt track Douglas There is also someone down here i know with a very large collection of early dirt machines I can arrange for you to meat him if your ever down this way

yebbut

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 11:34:35 AM »
Have you considered that the main routes between Huddersfield and London have changed so much in the last 65 years that they may no longer be recognisable?

I mention it because I have come across that problem myself with a similar project of my own.

Its even more pronounced in France where most of the old routes, and certainly the ones through larger towns have disappeared.

I suggest another avenue may be comparisons via old postcards, not so daft as it may seem at first, certainly the scenes on those captured back then will be more recognisable to your grandad.

wetdog

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 01:36:33 PM »
AA route finder says 214 miles avoiding m/ways , but for a really interesting route set your sat nav to avoid all m/ways and shortest route , some of the roads ive found round Bham this way look like theyve never seen a car or bike since ww2 , nice way to spend a sunday out on me old bike ,

yebbut

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 06:47:06 PM »
can't get my sat nav to work on acetylene............ :D

Offline r80gs

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 01:43:23 PM »
First filming session is going to be on Wednesday over the tops between Harrogate and Otley. Only bikers available ride a new bmw and a new triumph but it will be good to practise on.   

The bikes my Grandpa rode were an AGS 1920 250c, a Matchless 1930 750cc and an Army Triumph 500cc. These are the ones he can remember there are more and his fastest bike was made from parts pilfered from the army parts department. We are going to go through his cigarette cards, postcards and photos to see if any of them refresh his memory.

He used to go from London to Leicester every other day. When he got to Leicester he disconnect his speedo and went to visit his wife in Huddersfield, making it back to London the same night.

yebbut

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 09:54:57 PM »
your grandads memory is faulty, Army Triumphs were 350s, there is no such bike as a 750 matchless of any year, and as for an AGS, thats a new one on me.

Was he service or civilian? Its possible in the early war years he was riding a requisitioned civvy bike.

Usual 1939-45 Army machines were

BSA M20 500sv
Matchless G3 ; after 1941 G3LS, both 350ohv
Ariel 350 WNG 350cc ohv
Triumph 3HW 350cc ohv
Royal Enfield 350cc ohv; plus a few 350sv
Norton16H 500cc sv

Huddersfield to London by night riding with a blackout mask, a 25watt headlamp and a machine rarely capable of exceeding 60mph in the daylight is a yarn I would take with a pinch of salt.

I think you need to do a lot more research.

Offline r80gs

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 11:08:25 PM »
Although I have found a 250 AGS it does look a little late so I may be wrong he may have meant an AJS or I wrote it down wrong.
Is there not a matchless scrambler 750; this link may not but it but I did find a reference to it. http://www.cybermotorcycle.com/gallery/matchless/Matchless_1930_ohv_14-802.htm
Triumphs of that size did exist in that era although they may not have been standard issue. I believe him when he tells me his position allowed him to pick the best bikes available in the armies possession. 
At 60miles an hour you could cover 480 miles in 8 hours which is about (if not less than) what the journey would have been at the time. Given he told me he left at 5am I find it quite plausible that he'd make it back to 'London the same night'.

Think I'll believe his account over your opinion but thank you all the same. The forum is part of my research process so any constructive advice is gratefully received.
Thank you for idea about postcards it was a great idea I'll try to follow up.

Offline r80gs

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 11:23:25 PM »
It is also possible he rode the triumph after the end of the war as this was only a list of bikes he'd ridden (not necessarily through WW2).

http://www.ianchadwick.com/motorcycles/triumph/models.html
A 5/3W 500 sv model was designed for military use in 1949, replaced by TRW.

Offline r80gs

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 11:24:06 PM »
 ;D

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 09:15:31 AM »

At 60miles an hour you could cover 480 miles in 8 hours which is about (if not less than) what the journey would have been at the time. Given he told me he left at 5am I find it quite plausible that he'd make it back to 'London the same night'.
Think I'll believe his account over your opinion but thank you all the same.

Well, maybe, but time lends a certain romanticism to these events in the past. The poorly lit, badly (non) sign-posted roads, and a dim 6V black-out headlamp all with an old bike of the 1930s casts a bit of doubt over the plausibility of this particular tale. Sixty average MPH would be a good figure now, never mind under those conditions.
Not saying the old boy is full of BS, but the journey times have possibly shrunk with the passing years, and maybe he actually started late afternoon and arrived some time the next day?
Something I noticed with my old Dad (now gone) was that in later years two (or more) tales ended up being rolled up together into one in his memory, and that one tale being rather tall gave the game away.....

Offline r80gs

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 10:55:11 AM »
I have known him all my life in fact I believe my dad has too, strangely. The 'story' has remained the same all his life even when he wasn't getting on. It's also a story confirmed by my Grandma.
But loving the cynicism.