Author Topic: No MOT on historic vehicles, will it happen?.  (Read 5452 times)

Offline Revband

• Advanced Member
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Revband
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Revband
    • View Profile
No MOT on historic vehicles, will it happen?.
« on: January 23, 2011, 11:00:10 AM »
What do you think will this ever happen and will it apply to bikes?

http://www.easier.com/83415-mot-tests-historic-cars.html

yebbut

Re: No MOT on historic vehicles, will it happen?.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 12:35:37 PM »

Bring it on, but if it ever does you will be obliged to vote Tory :o

There's bound to be a catch in it somewhere involving laying out cash, they give bugger all away.

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 01:43:09 PM »
It'll be great until the first accident occurs, then the Red-Top gutter press will be shrieking about "death-trap veterans" etc at which point we'll all doubtless have to suffer greater or more onerous rules and regs than we do currently.

No, making the old vehicle scene some sort of "special case" is a recipe for disaster, in my opinion.

{It's not as if the current annual MoT is exactly hard to pass, anyway...}

wetdog

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 02:06:22 PM »
"special case"  you mean like free tax , there might well be the accident you sight i which case the vehicule owner would be sued , with the time it takes to get a mot now and several old bikes most of which cover less than 100 miles a year ( 1914 Humber 38 miles last year might do @ 80 this ) this sounds like a very good idea to me and i hope it goes through

Offline Stevejs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 03:27:37 PM »
Rex is right. We have got away with the 'Free Tax' deal so far, but by placing us in a tiny minority there is always the risk that it leaves us vulnerable to the imposition of restrictions on our vehicles.

With 'Free MoT' as well, we all know that not everybody would be as rigorous with their maintenance as they should. Just one serious incident involving an ill-maintained and un-MoT'd historic vehicle would tar us all with the same brush.

wetdog

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 03:52:01 PM »
"serious incident involving an ill-maintained and un-MoT'd"    happens every day , why should it be a problem the police deal with it now ?

Offline Stevejs

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 08:06:01 PM »
wetdog, un-MoT'd (and uninsured) vehicles are on the road and having crashes as you say, but they are a criminal and invisible minority, not a visible and easily identifiable minority which has been granted a special concession, as we would be.

wetdog

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 08:39:01 PM »
I can see this is pointless . maybe you might change your mind when they start testing  M cycles for emitions , that classic will never pass , and has alredy been sugested as manufacturers have to meet these req already

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 07:49:32 AM »
You're being obtuse now. Those CO testing bands aren't retrospective.
Had they wanted to rid the roads of Vintage or Veterans, they could have done it many years ago with regs on lighting, brakes etc, so why would they feel the need to now by using emissions testing?
I think the UK system is better than many others, as there's no limits to mileage, use, parades, etc and I hope it stays that way.

yebbut

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 10:36:38 AM »
Its only going to apply to pre WW1 stuff anyway and when was the last time you saw one of those on the road outside of  the Brighton run?