Author Topic: NEGATIVE EFFECTS OF ETHANOL  (Read 24845 times)

Offline bikerbob

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: NEGATIVE EFFECTS OF ETHANOL
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2011, 04:32:46 PM »
Hi there
One of my tanks had just been resprayed the other had been done about 15 years ago but in both cases I took particular care to cover up around the filler hole and made sure that when pouring in the sealant remover and the new sealant I did not spill any onto the paintwork as I do believe they warn you that it can damage paintwork.

Offline MickJR

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2011, 06:52:20 PM »
BikerBob.

Once again, Many thanks. Your comments/advice have eased a lot of my concerns.  It would appear that at 78 the confidence in my abilities has waned a bit.  It's taken me a couple of years to prepare this machine ready for the road and this hiccup is a bit of a setback.

Mick.

Offline V4

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2011, 01:26:10 PM »
Hi Bob,

Have read through this thread concerning the probable long term effect of ethanol on older bikes and cars.  I have some concerns too.  Here in Canada we have been on an ethanol diet of up to 10% for as long as I can remember for most gasolines, Sunoco for example.  I would guess for 20 years, around since 1990.  So far I have seen no negative effects from it's use.  In the winter months it acts as a fuel line/gasoline anti-freeze and moves water through the fuel system that may otherwise freeze.  In Canada Shell "V-Power" has no ethanol.  I wrote to a Shell Tech Dept. when a friend in England asked me if Shell contained ethanol.  He too was told exactly what I have copied and pasted below from the reply I received from Shell a couple of months ago.

Shell is converting its gasoline stations to ethanol blended gasoline sites.
Already converted sites have signs on pumps showing the following:

-    Bronze (regular grade - 87 octane) may contain up to 10% ethanol;
-    Silver (midgrade - 89 octane) may contain up to 5% ethanol;
-    V-Power (premium grade - 91 octane) contains no ethanol.

Thank you for choosing Shell.

Offline V4

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2011, 01:08:37 PM »
Bob,

Read something of interest yesterday as I was preparing my lawnmower for it's first cut of the season and I thought of your thread.  The motor is made by an old company 'over here' called Briggs & Stratton out of Milwaukee Wisconsin USA, deeply imbedded into Harley territory.  In the users hand book it says under 'winter storage' to fill the fuel tank to full unless the fuel contains ethanol, if so then drain the tank and run the carb dry.

John

Offline V4

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2011, 01:27:53 PM »
Bob,

More on ethanol.  Last year I purchased a Chev HHR with a 2.2 liter 4 cylinder Ecotec engine w/ 5 speed manual Getrag transmission.  The vehicle is "E85 compatable".  That is it will run on E85 and make an instant change to the powertrain control module as soon as it senses the E85 in the fuel system.  What a laugh it is having all this E85 compatable equipment on board and there are no E85 stations anywhere that I've ever seen.  I believe there are 2 in Ontario. Perhaps in the future there are more coming.  I guess I would be ok in Brazil.

Offline bikerbob

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2011, 04:27:33 PM »
Hi there
Just recieved my Monthly mag from the Bsa owners  club. It reports from someone in Germany that the majority of motorists over there are refusing to use 10% Ethanol petrol because it returns poor fuel economy and recommending people to buy Super Plus fuel or E5 but to try and avoid E10. The German government has halted the countrywide installation of E10 pumps until they can provide evidence  that it is good for E10. Greenpeace have stated that ethanol can ruin cars and the enviroment.

Offline tractorman

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2011, 08:18:43 AM »
If you are really worried and ride short distances, you can alway do what this American Vincent owner does [extract form voc@jtan.com below]

"I make my own ethanol free gas
for use in small engines (chain saws etc which are particularly
effected by ethanol) and forstorage gas for larger ones. Just dump
about 20% water into the gas, agitate, let it sit a few days, then
drain out the water and ethanol mix (the ethanol combines with the
water in preference to the gas) which will have separated out and
gone to the bottom of the tank."