Author Topic: T120 top end rattle  (Read 19285 times)

Offline raptorkev

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
T120 top end rattle
« on: February 15, 2011, 07:57:25 PM »
when at around 3000 rpm and engine not under any load an hear metalicrattle open the throtle a touch and it goes engine does not smoke or use any oil
i checked the valve clearances and all fine but did notice yuo could push the rocker to and fro quite easey could it be this
any ideas :-\

Offline rogerwilko

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: T120 top end rattle
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 08:20:58 PM »
Before you pull anything apart, check carby slide wear!

Offline raptorkev

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 08:46:04 PM »
Before you pull anything apart, check carby slide wear!
forgot to mention new carbs

wetdog

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 09:13:21 AM »
sounds very much like a problem i had , turned out to be both inner valve springs on the inlet side had broken , never had this problem before or since but was told this is common on some Triumphs , mine was fitted with E3134 cams , mushroom tappet adjusters , and R followers if that makes a differance . went well

Offline raptorkev

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 07:49:51 PM »
sounds very much like a problem i had , turned out to be both inner valve springs on the inlet side had broken , never had this problem before or since but was told this is common on some Triumphs , mine was fitted with E3134 cams , mushroom tappet adjusters , and R followers if that makes a differance . went well
looks like the heads coming off then ???

Offline Revband

• Advanced Member
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Revband
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Revband
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 10:22:23 PM »
Then take the block off and check the little end bushes.

wetdog

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 07:59:43 AM »
there were no little end bushes on mine , what year is the bike

Offline Revband

• Advanced Member
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Revband
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Revband
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 09:31:33 AM »
If this model doesn't have bushes then lets all hope the little ends are not worn.

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 10:31:16 AM »
Well, yeah, but if the bushes were worn he'd be stripping the engine to fit and ream new ones, and if the rods are "bushless" he'll still be stripping the engine to get bushes fitted. Pain in  the wossname either way, really.

{I know some people say small end bushes can be fitted and reamed in situ, but I'd rather do it properly on the bench}

wetdog

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 03:23:10 PM »
this is a job which can be done in situe . by turning up a suitable guide / mandrel and useing a adjustable reamer ( where are you as i have these tools already ) , you can use each rod eye in turn as a guide and from experience i know this method works well , it also means no bottom end strip down , pack the crank case mouths well , i think you will find there are no bushes fitted and i do not think this is the problem but would be interested to know what you discover . PS just remove the rocker boxes in order to see if you have a spring gone

Offline triman65

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 08:13:23 PM »
If you have not started stripping it yet you could try using a hearth poker or large screwdriver like a stethoscope to try and determine were the noise is coming from. :o

Offline raptorkev

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 10:06:04 PM »
If you have not started stripping it yet you could try using a hearth poker or large screwdriver like a stethoscope to try and determine were the noise is coming from. :o
thanks guys its a 65 unit motor ive tryed running the motor at stand still but dont seem to able to make it make the noise i am in plymouth soon as i get time will remove rockerboxes and check springs and hope this is the problem anyone tryed renewing springs without taking the head off ?

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2011, 08:44:46 AM »
It's one of those jobs where it takes longer trying to avoid doing the job properly than it saves. It's only an easy morning's work to remove/replace the head, and grind in the valves while you're in there.

wetdog

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2011, 08:49:08 AM »
no bushes fitted to these rods ( and its not a retro fit job ) , changing springs with out taking the head off , ive heard can be done but sounded like to much of a risk packing the chamber with greese and rag with piston at tdc , why bother its easy to remove the head , are you sure this noise is from the motor , has the engine been reboared and are the pistons new ?

Offline Duppy Conqueror

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2011, 12:05:37 AM »
any chance it might be preignition