Author Topic: 1963 A50 headlamp nacelle  (Read 6903 times)

Offline hedgehorn

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
1963 A50 headlamp nacelle
« on: August 11, 2005, 10:05:07 AM »
I am in the process of refinishing the sheet metal on my A50 and I am trying to figure out if the nacelle was installed correctly. The fork caps are below the sheet metal and there are two holes in the top of the nacelle about an inch in diameter that are directly above the fork caps. I dont know if there is suposed to be rubber plugs in these holes or if the forks have been slid down and the caps should be holding the top of the nacelle to the forks. Please help

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1963 A50 headlamp nacelle
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 05:27:40 AM »
From what I can see in the photo you sent before, the top yoke cover MAY be the wrong type?
The parts book shows a deeper shaped part that covers the handlebar clamps, fork top nuts and steering stem adjusting sleeve etc. rather than what is shown in the photo BUT there may be slight differences between US and UK or general export models?
That cover looks more like an A7-A10 or a single cylinder model item?
The upper ends of the fork legs locate to the top yoke by tapered joints so it shouldn't be possible to move their positions up or down without changing the top yoke as well?

I think Nigel has a 1963 model so may be able to add to this?
---------------------------------------
A65 on US eBay (4567509229) with a nacelle assembly that seems to match up with what the parts book shows.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2005, 06:14:08 AM by L.A.B. »
L.A.B.

Offline hedgehorn

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 11:05:42 AM »
Thanks for the information I am thinking that something is wrong. I have looked at alot of photo's on the web but most dont have the quallity to allow me to increase the size of the photo and still be clear. Nigel please chime in on this one I could use the help.

Offline hedgehorn

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2005, 09:58:48 AM »
I have been doing some more research on this bike asked some questions to the previous owner. I found out that the front end was replaced earlier due to an accident and the whole front end was replaced. I havent been able to figure out what bike it was from but I have found a front end off of a 62 a10. Does anyone know if the neck dimensions are the same for a A10 as a A50/A65? I almost wonder if thats what I have on there now the trees are about 3/4'' to close together so the distance between the pinch bolts and fork caps is about 3/4'' too close together leaving a gap between the top of the nacelle and the upper tree. the pinch bolt holes in the nacellle are too close to the bottom of the headlamp bucket to redrill and relocate. Thanks, Todd

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2005, 08:13:17 PM »
I think you may be right that an A7/A10 front end has been fitted, as closer inspection of your photo seems to show that the bucket (cowl) is an A7/10 item, the clues are the horizontal chrome(?) flash, and the switches fitted on the right hand side instead of left, the rear switch hole has probably been cut as the A7/10 seems to have only one switch there?.
Do you have any more detailed photos of the assembly?

L.A.B.

Offline hedgehorn

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2005, 05:46:21 AM »
I will take some more photo's to see if I can get you a little more detail. Could you please send your email address to me? here is mine julesntod@msn.com    That way I can send you the photo's with a higher resolution. I think you are right though there is a A10 front end on ebay that looks identical with the exception of the ignition swith is not there on the one on ebay.  I look forward to hearing from you.
                                                                    Todd

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: September 09, 2005, 04:06:47 AM by L.A.B. »
L.A.B.