Author Topic: Fuel Lines  (Read 3016 times)

Offline V4

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Fuel Lines
« on: May 17, 2011, 03:33:31 PM »
Cannot think of a better place to ask this question than on this vintage motorcycle site.  I am ressurecting my 61 Austin Healey 3000 that has sat for such a time period the gasoline has turned to a gummy varnish.  Have replaced the fuel tank, rebuilt the SU pump and I'm now in the process of cleaning steel fuel lines that are no longer available as a replacement.    I am soaking the lines in alcohol, blowing with compressed air and plan on using a carb cleaner next and then soak in WD40.  One line from the tank to the pump is about 24 inches long and the other from the pump to the carbs is about 6 feet long. I wondered if anyone has any ideas other than this procedure.  Also thinking about passing steam through the lines at some point in this cleaning. 

Offline Welsh Wizard

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel Lines
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 11:48:50 PM »
Back in the 60's  when one of these lines got torn out on a rally we used to use copper tube, you should be able to still get the right gauge from a good supply shop, , chances are if you ask the nicly they will even shape the end if you have a sample.