Author Topic: Oils aint oils  (Read 10974 times)

Offline Sludgetrap

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Oils aint oils
« on: May 18, 2011, 12:25:27 PM »
G,day folks,,,

Just wanted to get other members views on synthetic oils in our older british bikes , I run Amsoil synthetic in a later model Harley that I have and have to say it does the trick, lasts longer , keeps the engine cooler by about 9 degree,s celcius.
Have mentioned using synthetic oil in older motors with mixed replies, looking forward to any views on this subject with interest,,cheers

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Oils aint oils
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 02:32:51 PM »
Oh no, not another interminable oil thread in the offing... :D

We'll be on to EI vs points next, then "how a Zener diode regulates voltage....." ;D

Cheapest ASDA oil changed every 500 miles/season works for me.

(What's the bike on your avatar, BTW?)

Offline Welsh Wizard

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 09:57:37 PM »
if its old and British regular oil; change that are not excesive are good enough, engine did not have syn oils when they were designed, in fact most oils of the day back then were pretty shitty, so any oil, if high detergent then change it more often till the engine is cleaned out fully.

Offline JFerg

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 11:12:28 PM »
Cheapest ASDA is far better than the best available in 1952.
Matters little so long as you change it often.

JFerg

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 08:22:29 AM »
Also factor in that these bikes are now toys for summer afternoons rather than daily grind commuting all year, plus the engines were low-spec (in the main) so the ASDA stuff is probably too good for 'em... ;D

Offline Tony39

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 09:28:00 AM »
I use reclaimed and redefined SAE30 oil in my old bikes and an MG TD and they run like clockwork.  £30 for 25L, or it was!!

Offline Sludgetrap

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 10:06:26 AM »
G,day again,,,
Well that sort of shoots down the synthetic oil idea then,,, Was just a thought after talking to a few guys that rebuild motors,, and Rex the avatar is my old 1934 L 2/1 my daily ride to work , when its not raining of course and before anyone asks that wasnt the bike I was thinking about when I originally ask the question,, was more thinking my little 500 tiger thats revs like theres no tomorrow,, cheers,,,

Offline rogerwilko

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 11:57:57 PM »
I just use my old sump oil from my car!!

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 10:47:37 AM »
Luxury, I say, luxury... ;D

Offline Goldy

• Advanced Member
  • Restore, Ride, Relive
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 05:19:15 PM »
I am amazed the trouble people go to with oil. When these old bikes were made ie 50/ 60 years ago the choice was sae 30 for the winter and sae 40 for the summer (simple as that) so why should it be any difference now. Buy the cheapest oil you can get, but change it frequently. Simple as that.

johnnyboy-wonder57

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 08:09:54 PM »
Hi,
Like to have a Tribologist's opinion, before giving or talking too much advice; there are some good information sites around if you do a web search on the topic, however, various  added metals and other additives do various things, if they are not in a cheap oil in enough quantities then those functions are impaired. 

The only criticism of new oils, I have found is that apparently  they are supposedly more focussed on overall running economy and cleanliness of engine operation, rather than engine wear, which is the thing we are all  trying to delay.  Also it depends on the type of activity you have in mind a plod or a blast, presumably you want a blast!

Manufacturing tolerances are now so close that some modern engines  are supposedly have no need for piston rings! In reality, it has been said that they only put them in because of customer reaction to a new engineering practice. Hence your 0-30w viscosity oils, apparently an oil film, only one or a few molecules thick can pass through the tolerances on ultra modern engines, cheaper thicker viscosities with longer-  carbon- hydrogen chains fail to lubricate because of the larger molecular structure and the engine therefore fails through lack of lubrication.  However on a 60/70 plus year old machines tolerances are nowhere near as tight, so oil suitability & choice of type and brand is not as limited.

Engine parts and time spent rebuilding are more detrimental to the wallet and soul, than a few more quid on a suitable oil, an oil-cooler and a proper paper- element filtration system modification, would be a good idea if it can be plumbed in sympathetically to the original plot.

Not too cheap and not rip-off expensive, is probably the best advice I have to give, but again it is now possible to buy drums of oil in 120 litre containers, just over 26 gallons for the garage workshop, better oil at discount prices and if you look @ how oil is increasing in price this may be the best idea, I saw some on offer @ £95 last year from £135-£140!

Cheers

JBW

Offline raptorkev

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 08:47:37 PM »
if your just riding something like an m21 or similar then ok use cheapo oil but what if like me you like to ride your bike hard surely a better oil is going to work better what about classic racers ie manx and g50 and the like they use castrol r at £35 for 4ltrs i dont think they would last long on asdas finest :P

Offline rogerwilko

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 09:55:28 PM »

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2011, 10:04:51 PM »
classic racers ie manx and g50 and the like they use castrol r at £35 for 4ltrs i dont think they would last long on asdas finest :P

No reason why they wouldn't. ASDAs oils still meet the relevant British Standards....it just doesn't come in pretty shaped multi-coloured bottles or have lots of techno-babble on the label to mug entice the punters to buy it... :o

{Anyway, I bet they were lapping the Island on worse oil back in the 1950s...}

Offline Sludgetrap

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2011, 11:09:43 AM »
Come on fella,s ,,,,reclaimed oil,,old car sump oil,, the cheapest oil I can find,,
When I ride home to see my old mum (and have done it twice on the old 500) its about 3600 kilometers round trip, with temperatures exceeding 47 degree,s celcius. Dont think old Eddy Turner would have recomended second hand or reclaimed oil for his machines under these conditions, come to think of it ,wouldnt that be about 3 laps of the United Kingdom, Not wanting to start an argument but they did sell old Triumphs in Australia to you no,,cheers