Author Topic: Tyres for BSA L29  (Read 3410 times)

Offline robbsa

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Tyres for BSA L29
« on: May 19, 2011, 09:28:41 PM »
Hi All,

I need to get some tyres for my BSA L29 - the rims are 20' wire on tyre rims, as per the original ones. The Dunlop tyres (not sure of dimensions) are hard to get hold of (if not impossible as far as i can see). I was looking at getting a avon speedmaster 300/20 for the front and a mitas 300*20 universal tyre for the rear or a avon SM original 325-20 for the rear.

If anyone else has a l29 or similar bike and you are able to share advice, that would be helpful. These tyres are priced at around £50 (front) and £65 - £90 for the rear. If anyone knows of any cheaper alternatives then please let me know. Also if you know of any very good reason not to go for a cheaper alternative if i find one then also please share!

thanks

Rob

Offline chaterlea25

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Tyres for BSA L29
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 07:19:06 PM »
Hi Rob,
Sounds like you have the information you need already, I havnt heard of any other source of 20 inch tyres
I have an ohv L25 ohv which is beaded edge, now we'r getting expensive!!! especially if "Dunlop" is mentioned!!!!

Regards
John

Offline Sidcar

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Tyres for BSA L29
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 08:48:04 PM »
Hi Rob,
The VMCC do an Ensign Universal Tyre 300x20 but it's £77. An American firm "Croker" do one as well but that's even more expensive and you have to wait until they do a batch. I run this tyre size on the front of my Sloper outfit.
The Ensign will look more period but the Avon is cheaper.
Regards

Sid