Author Topic: Ariel KH500 Primary Drive Sprocket Alignment  (Read 8493 times)

Offline BSAfrica

• Advanced Member
  • Where did I put my glasses???
    • View Profile
Ariel KH500 Primary Drive Sprocket Alignment
« on: May 28, 2011, 05:02:42 PM »
Found the primary drive sprockets to be 5 mm out of alignment. With the sprocket on the clutch side as reference, engine side sprocket is 5 mm closer to the engine. Can it be shimmed, or is there an alternative method to align these sprockets.

Ariel KH500 1954

Thanks
Barend

Offline rogerwilko

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Ariel KH500 Primary Drive Sprocket Alignment
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 07:28:42 PM »
Not sure if they shared cush drives with Bsa's but they had varyimg widths in there's, or just make up a spacer behind the sprocket. Can you send us a picture?

Offline BSAfrica

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 08:23:28 AM »
Thanks for the reply, indeed uses a cuch drive. Seems that making up a spacer that will go over the slider to fit between the sprocket and the slider shoulder will solve the problem
Barend

How do you add a picture?

Offline chaterlea25

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 10:10:09 PM »
Hi there,
The spacer needs to be fitted between the bearing spacer and the  cush drive sleeve
That way it is locked in place and there is no relative movement on the spacer
The cush and sprocket are hardened and would mash a spacer behind the sprocket
HTh
John

Offline BSAfrica

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 06:19:03 PM »
Thanks John, I did not took that into consideration,will change my order at the engineering company, revision 2.

Regards
Barend

Offline BSAfrica

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Ariel KH500 Primary Drive Sprocket Alignment - next questions
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 06:25:17 PM »
Sorted out without having to use a spacer, when measure to the bottom of the clutch drive sprocket, no spacer is required.

Now, next challenge - Using a 428 motorcycle chain as primary chain, it seems to foul on the primary chain case behind the clutch sprocket. Can it be that the new generation chains are wider that the original? Any suggestions? Is it a standard practice to use a half link on these primary drive chains, with a 21 teeth main and 44 teeth secondary sprocket, no adjustment of the gearbox will give me enough slack to use full sets of chain links.

Last question, for those with a KH500 Plunger frame, what is the length of the brake lever measured from the pivot to the front of the lever.

Much appreciated for the help.
Barend

Offline rogerwilko

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 12:32:25 AM »
If it uses a normal burman clutch setup there is a thick and a thinner washer each side of the clutch basket.I'm speaking of Matchy and AJS system which also use theses clutches. Pull the basket off and see if they are different thicknesses, and if so put the fatter one on the inside.

Offline chaterlea25

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 07:43:21 PM »
Hi Barend and All,
Most  brands of"428" chains are too wide to fit in the case, As chains have become cheaper the makers just use heavier instead of higher quality material
I have a Huntmaster on the bench at the moment, and have had all the primary/clutch apart while sorting out broken footrest mounts, gearbox problems etc
"Regina" brand chain is the same size almost as the original Renolds and will clear the cases, it comes in Standard or "Gold" quality,
Yes it may be nessesary to use a half link in the primary chain, the 650 has a 24 tooth and uses 74 link chain

If the top of the chainwheel is 5mm out of line and the bottom is ok then it means theres a major misalignment problem??????????

The Ariel and AJS/Matchy clutches are different,
The Ariel has a dry clutch outside the chaincase, this is bolted to the sprocket inside the case. The Ariel clutch bearing thrust washers are the same thickness both sides

There are some parts diagrams etc on the Draganfly Motorcycles website  http://draganfly.co.uk/
Ariel parts book drawings arnt the easiest to follow though????

HTH
John

Offline BSAfrica

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 05:43:45 PM »
John, thanks for the reply. Tried all 5 motorcycle dealers in town (Richards Bay), no one stock Regina range of chains. Will have to go to plan B, import from UK.

Next question. What should the torque setting be on the cush drive retaining nut, or is it a matter of making use of a "light" locktite and then tightening as best as you can?

Best regards
Barend