Author Topic: Paint Dilemma  (Read 2662 times)

Offline Sludgetrap

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Paint Dilemma
« on: June 21, 2011, 12:05:03 PM »
G,day again folks,,, 

Have decieded to spruce up one of the 500,s , More cosmetic than mechanical as I did the motor up no that long ago.
Just want to get some opinions on paint,,  this one is a  1970 T100c and the original colour is jacaranda purple with the silver sash down the middle of the tank, as the bike is only 99% original I,m going to stick with the purple but a darker more candy colour, with the silver sash sort of an updated colour,,,can hear the purists bagging me already,, What I,d like to get your idea,s on is what type of paint would you recommend,,, Two Pack,, Lacquer,, Powder Coating,, Acrylic,, ect???? I,m going to paint the whole bike so will probably Powder Coat the frame but the rest I,m not sure yet,, any advise appreciated,,,cheers

Offline Gromit

• Advanced Member
  • Life is nothing like the brochure
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Paint Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 08:07:27 PM »
Polyurethane lacquer over base I would go for.... as the lacquer can be applied in several coats and it gives that really deeeep look to candy colours .... and it doesn't wear off too quick. And you can spray it with a normal spraying respirator and not kill yourself on the cynaide fumes unlike isocyanate 2 packs.
Big plus it also can be cut back and polished which most modern paint systems cant be ... modern stuff is designed to be baked at 35 deg C + to set it off and is as hard as nails so any blemishes from home job going a little wrong are there for ever. Have a look at a modern car closely and the paint in all likelihood will be slightly orange peel ... you cant get it out ever ...

Firm in Coventry UK that escapes me will mix up original Trumpet colours in small tins at a horrendous price .... me I loiter in Brown Brothers or Jawell paints and search the colour swatches my self when the assistant is bored with showing me their wares ... works every time for me.

Some colours are really difficult. I have an  1950 Armstrong Siddeley car in grey of all colours ... can I match it can I heck even the guy at Jawell hasn't managed to mix a match up yet.

Regards Gromit
With great power comes great  current squared times resistance :fix