Author Topic: help needed with villlers super sport engine  (Read 7131 times)

Offline glaser 31

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
help needed with villlers super sport engine
« on: July 21, 2011, 04:21:10 PM »
hi,
can anyone tell me the value fore this engine  :)
regards Glaser

Offline rogerwilko

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: help needed with villlers super sport engine
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 07:49:50 PM »
20 cents! What an oxymoron.. super sport?

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 12:55:37 AM »
The 175cc Villiers Super Sport was current from 1924-32. In it's day it was a very successful engine holding World Records and winning major races. It even powered an outright winner of the Durban/Jo'burg race. It is still an engine in demand.
As to value, that depends on where you live and the condition of the engine. A quick look at your photos shows this engine has no electrics, no carburettor and has a broken crankshaft. The latter is a major problem as the Super Sport had a drilled crankshaft using the Villiers Autolube system which is also missing. This particular crankshaft is much harder to find than the common petroil lubricated version.  It does have an inlet manifold which is a minor plus if it isn't worn out. The photos don't really show the  condition of the the remaining parts so its difficult to make any further comment.
Essentially you have the bare bones of a Super Sport, the crankcases, inlet manifold, cylinder, cylinder head and conrod, nothing else.
It certainly has a market but not for a great deal as basically you mainly have the easy to find bits, not the hard to find ones.
For further info can you provide the engine number?
Cheers,

Offline glaser 31

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 04:51:07 PM »
I know this no engine I was going to be rich on.It was just if I could help someone with it,insted of useing it as a doorstop.
engine number 11747.
regards

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 04:23:06 AM »
A prewar Villiers engine number includes an identifying prefix. Could we have the full number please?
And I'm sure someone could use it, perhaps you should also tell us where you live?
Cheers,

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 12:29:37 AM »

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 12:48:58 AM »
The engine in the SOS is the Villiers 'Brooklands'. It was the top of the line of the 175 Villiers engines and supposedly was for racing purposes only being unsuitable for road use. That was probably true in 1925 when it was introduced given the quality of petrol and oil at the time but as things improved it did appear in a few road bikes. Produced 1925-34 so it seems reasonable one of the final ones could be fitted to a 1935 bike, particularly for a small manufacturer like SOS.
I've found it even harder to find Brooklands bits & pieces than Super Sport stuff.
Cheers,

Offline TWOSTROKING

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 01:40:21 PM »
Hi, l may be interested for the parts.......................i have a 1929 James with the Super sports engine fitted, where abouts in the UK are you,

regards,

Jim