Author Topic: unknown cylinder pre1910?  (Read 4116 times)

Offline sarolea31

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
unknown cylinder pre1910?
« on: July 29, 2011, 10:21:51 PM »
hello. does anyone have an idea what this cylinder might be from?
the bore is about 66mm.

greetings Per.

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
Re: unknown cylinder pre1910?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 09:35:42 AM »
Hi Per,
Most interesting! I wonder if the two-bolt flange was to hold a platinum tube for "hot tube" (pre-spark plug) ignition. If so, maybe it's pre 1900, although it has rather large fins for a machine this early. Two questions: Does the boss on the opposite side from the valves have a hole tapped to spark-plug size? (More likely this was for a primer/compression release tap.) What country was the cylinder found in?
Cheers
Leon

Offline sarolea31

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 12:31:44 PM »
there is a smaller hole. i think about 10mm (1/8 R???). as seen on the picture, there is a brass piece stuck in there, so i thinke it has been a primer/compression tap there. the threads seems to be in inches. the hole in the small plate seems to have been for a sparkplug, but it might of course be home made. i dont know if the fixing of the springs give a clue, or if this was the normal way of doing it back then?
the cylinder is found in norway, so it might be from any nation. i have posted pictures on a similar german forum some time ago without getting any answers or sugestions at all. i have also asked some experts in belgium without any luck.

greetings Per.

wetdog

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 03:50:12 PM »
looks like a Waddington Fafnir engine 500 cc ioe forecar 1905 but not 100% built in the right area

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 07:42:13 AM »

The cylinder has a lot in common with Laurin & Klement, including the two-bolt flange. L&K (I think) used a low tension magneto with a mechanical make and break inside the cylinder to make the spark - thus the flange rather than a tapped spark plug hole. Anyway, there are enough L&K  images at Libor Marčík's website (e.g. http://www.libormarcik.cz/moto7.html ) to see a strong resemblance but no match. Perhaps something else from the same Czech/Austro-Hungarian parentage? Perhaps you could email Libor? Be sure to let us know if you identify it!

Leon