Author Topic: 1927 tt triumph  (Read 7565 times)

wetdog

1927 tt triumph
« on: August 07, 2011, 10:00:27 AM »
just started restoring this one , fork blades are in two halfs ie left and right ? , has anyone got any info / parts book for this model i can copy or buy thanks

Offline Dirt_Track

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1927 tt triumph
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 06:10:58 AM »
G'day Wetdog.
I have a book on the TT model.
Give me your email address and i will scan it for you.
Howard.

wetdog

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 04:44:54 PM »
thankyou ive a feeling this one is not going to be that straight forwards , my email is aroomwithaview@tiscali.co.uk . by the way does it show the fork blades in two halfs ?

Offline rogerwilko

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 10:23:00 PM »
Never heard of fork blades in two halves?

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 12:57:25 AM »
Even veteran Triumphs had forks where the 2 sides are separate, and bolt up.
Don't know what happened later though.

Enfields did something similar in the 1930s.

wetdog

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 08:54:00 AM »
theve gone together very nice i will post some pics , gearbox is good cross over type with final drive on right , oil tank is under the seat with a primmer/pump fitted gear cange is more like a car across left and right forwards back no gate just a long leaver , might be interesting to ride at first , have not stripped the engine yet , any info help thanks

Offline Dirt_Track

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 12:45:33 AM »
G'day all
This is the page showing the forks......just to show they do come as a left and right blade.
Hope you got the scans OK.....sent yesterday.
Howard.

Offline rogerwilko

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 01:38:30 AM »
I have to wrap my head around the idea of the blades being separate! Scary!! I'm looking at my webb forks now, and i can't fathom how those Trumpy ones could follow a straight line without flexing the front axle??

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 03:09:43 AM »
Why would they flex the front axle ??
Share with us this insight you have into their action...

Having said that, Triumph, along with some other makers of forks,  had forks that would vary the wheelbase (more than forks do anyway), so the front wheel could ride back and forward. Certainly for racing this was not a too desirable feature, but for road use Triumph persisted with it for some decades.

Wise old riders strapped up their Triumph forks though, since if the forkspring broke there was then nothing much restraining the wheel from trying to go under the bike. Not sure from the parts page if this is still possible in this later model, but it would seem so ?

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 08:52:12 AM »
The strapped forks were the WW1 era "Trusty" bikes etc where the fork action was "fore-and-aft" at the top and liable to a spring break, but the TT like yours had more of a conventional girder action. I have the same style of forks as yours on a Model P bitsa, and a very similar CTT style (complete with identical top and bottom links) fitted to another Triumph bitsa, since sold.

The previous post re rigidity- the yokes are very substantial on this design, and take the role of the side links in a Webb-style fork. The fork "sides" are still located by three spindles though; two through the yokes, and the wheel spindle. I found the fork action to be very nice.

wetdog

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 02:40:13 PM »
thank you Howard its a big help , the one i have has a seperate oil tank and pump under the seat on the left hand side ? any ideas when they did this ?