Author Topic: Dominator ,help req  (Read 8605 times)

Offline tstrainer

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Dominator ,help req
« on: August 30, 2011, 03:26:00 PM »
Hi, hoping for some help here,attached pics of my late fathers Norton Dominator fitted with a 16H engine I think . It's been sat in garage among others for 30+ years and is in a pretty poor state. It's registerd as a 99 deluxe 1961 it has the slimline frame , although from what I've seen of the deluxe it does not resemble one. Can anyone confirm which bits arn't Dommie ? The bike will be sold and I'd like to get the description right.

yebbut

Re: Dominator ,help req
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 07:04:00 PM »
I would'nt worry about a description just advertise it as a Norton Featherbed  of whatever year fitted with a Big Four  [not 16H] engine.
A deluxe model had rear fairings similar to Triumph if my memory is correct.

Its an interesting bike and I have seen another like this built by a bloke called RNW Holmes who used to pontificate for years in the letters columns of the bike mags.
Motorcycle Sport in the early 1970's or late 60's is one place to look.
His one had pushbike lamps though. I saw it outside Harold Daniells shop in south London once.

I fear this one will  likely be bought for the sum of its parts, which would be a shame.

Offline rogerwilko

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 07:19:21 PM »
I wonder if someone played with cams and compression? I'd certainly love to take it for a ride?

Offline tstrainer

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 07:41:23 PM »
I remember asking Dad why do it ? He said he'd fancied tuning the sidevalve  to make the bike faster than expected but I'm pretty shure he never got round to it. I rode it once when I was about 15 up the lane beside the house . The performance wasn't impressive ! But it was pleasant enough. :)

Offline tstrainer

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 08:25:25 PM »
Yebbut how can you tell it's a Big 4 not a 16 H ? :-[

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 09:08:11 PM »
Yebbut how can you tell it's a Big 4 not a 16 H ?

Looks like a Big 4.
http://www.nortonownersclub.org/models/sngle-cylinder/side-valve

What is the model code number (stamped next to the engine number)?
http://www.bmh.com.au/norton/index.php?id=modelnum

L.A.B.

yebbut

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 09:11:30 PM »
I thought only the Big 4 had the alloy cylinder head?

I could be wrong of course :-\

Offline tstrainer

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 09:22:29 PM »
Now you'd think the engine no would be the clue wouldn't you.? However the number that's been written in the old buff log book dosn't really tie with anything which is typical of my father who never taxed, insured or MOT'd anything if he could avoid it. I shall have to go and read the number for myself later in the week to see if anything strange has been going on. De rusting the inside of the tank at the moment before it gets beyond being saved. Can see bolt stubs in the tank so guessing the badge mounts have been filled over . It is tempting to fire it up but apart from watching the silencer disintegrate I think it would certainly do more harm than good .

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 09:44:02 PM »
Norton singles were usually stamped with their bore x stroke dimensions, so a Big 4 would be 82 x 113 1948-on  (earlier Big 4s were 82 x 120) and a 16H would be 79 x 100.
L.A.B.

yebbut

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 02:30:47 PM »
  my father who never taxed, insured or MOT'd anything if he could avoid it.   

sounds like an old fashioned motorcyclist of my era. ;)

I would start it up for sure,  check oil, some clean fuel and a new plug should do it.

Its a bike I would love, but I reckon if someone had an appropriate dommie engine they'd but it for putting it in; They fetch a lot of money even in this state, which I do not think that bad.

Personally I'd love this bike, it would be sad to see it as just another restored twin, its the sort of thing a lot of us used to do back then when an old bike was just an old bike, not an investable classic.
Its a bit of  motorcycle history, why don't you keep it and ride it?

Offline tstrainer

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 08:16:53 PM »
To be honest Yebbut I'd love to keep it but he also left a T150, a Valient , 2 LEs and some other bits and pieces all in similar condition . The T150 I'll keep , I've had a Jota for the past 20 yrs it'll be nice to have 2 triples. The rest I think will have to go as Mum wasn't left with much. It is difficult though , the Norton has been around for as long as I can remember ( 43 now ). Youre right it would be nice if it stayed as is but I think it unlikely. :(

yebbut

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 09:04:24 PM »
In that case quite frankly you would do better to lift the engine  and gearbox out and sell separately as a Dominator rolling chassis.

The Big four engine may well surprise you if put on ebay the box and clutch  will fetch £250/300
and as for the dommie rolling chassis with buff logbook, I would hate to guess, mudguards alone fetch daft prices.
Sentiment aside you need to look after Mum with a few bob.
A bikes old iron but yer Mums yer mum
Stick it on ebay for 3.5k and if it don't sell break it.
But wait till  near the end of September before you do.

Offline tstrainer

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 09:59:09 PM »
Cheers Yebbut, I dont know what's happened to prices these days I was thinking I would be lucky to see £800 for the lot. I havn't followed the British scene but Italian prices seem to have gone through the roof since the banking crash. I will wait untill the end of Sept the shed is large on there may be more of it lurking in there somewhere , who knows my numbers may come up by then and I'll keep it !
                thanks for your help
                                 Tim

Offline RichP

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2011, 10:15:09 PM »
I rather like that. Although it's a 'Slimline', it's sort of the ultimate poor man's Manx. Isn't the sprint speed record for a side-valve single held by a 16H ?

Almost the slowest Norton engine in the best-handling chassis. Very difficult to get into problems on.

How is it that Nortons never got round to putting a side-valver in a Featherbed ?

On a serious note, I couldn't see it fetching less than £2500 and like Yebbut, I struggle to keep up with the prices paid for project bikes.

yebbut

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2011, 01:50:13 PM »
I would happily give 800 for the lot, its less than scrap value.

The Valient ought to go for more than £800 alone; the LE's even dog rough will fetch at least a couple of 100 each.

I suggest wait till near the end of September as that's when people will be looking for projects for the winter after the summer expense is over.

Despite all the knockers I find ebay as good a place to sell as any other, just be aware of the chancers; I am happy to elaborate if you want.

Much as I hate to say it, that reg number will also be worth a few bob, although you'd have to get a new V5 doc to pass it on, maybe it will just add to the end  price.

Probably wise to get the  a new V5 anyway, use the numbers in the log book.

Look after your mum above all, you only get one.