Author Topic: 'Elitism' in classic bike circles?  (Read 8148 times)

Offline Bomber

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
'Elitism' in classic bike circles?
« on: September 22, 2011, 07:38:13 AM »
Has anyone else noticed how we classic motorcyclists and fanciers are becoming more elitist, comments you hear at show such as "it's a proper trailor queen" made at a wonderfully clean and polished restoration, or, "it's just a box of bits" made towards someones hybrid Triton, Tribsa etc or indeed "What a shame, it's screaming out to be restored" when viewing someones well used "oily rag". Then we have the one make brigade... anything else is not worth riding and of course those who rate a bike by its market value... very expensive being good, cheap being unworthy.

It's quite humourous to me, I have bikes that fit into all of the above, some I don't ride on public roads (particularly the pre 1930 bikes) mainly from a safety point of view and also I like to keep them in tip top condition. Others like my totally unrestored and modified 1950 plunger ES2 that I ride all year round and have done the run to the Manx GP and TT four times from Yorkshire since the millenium.

Now I am sure that someone out there will be thinking "Why does he have that many bikes, he can only ride one at once". We are a funny lot really aren't we?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 07:41:10 AM by Bomber »
If iver tha does owt for nowt alus duit for thissen

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: 'Elitism' in classic bike circles?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 09:17:55 AM »
I don't think that. I just think how lucky you are to have some nice bikes. After all, stamp collectors don't have just one stamp, do they? ;)

Personally I like to hear what others think of my bikes, but I don't get upset by anything negative. We all like different things, and some are naturally acidic towards others; it's often another symptom of the old green-eyed monster...... 8)

Offline RichP

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 11:36:12 PM »
I don't think that we're any worse than the owners of modern vehicles, and we all though that we had the best bike when we were riding on 'L' plates.

I actually find it quite encouraging that we have an international hobby where enthusiasts from all over can always find something to talk about. I suppose that there are extremes but we're not nearly as tribal as football supporters (for instance).

There's usually plenty of gentle banter between the makes but most of us are aware enough of the shortcomings of our chosen machines not to press the point too hard.

Offline runesika

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 10:01:23 PM »
I passed my bike test in 82 and i have ridden a motorcycle almost every day since ( i don't drive ) so i remember the days of  stupid talk about" jap crap and brit shit that now thankfully has almost died out .
Like you i have a bike that i like to keep spotless and also like to show , why do people moan when they see a bike presented like it has just left the factory ? if you want to see muddy ridden bikes stay in the car park ! it is a "show" after all .

I also love to see original oily rag bikes , race bikes , early jap and pre war bikes , the only thing i walk past is the harley/ custom bikes but i don't slag them off , people can ride what they like .
What a dull world it would be if we all liked the same thing ? Horses for courses .

Offline Goldy

• Advanced Member
  • Restore, Ride, Relive
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 04:13:35 PM »
The problem is Bomber you are visiting the wrong type of events. If you go to bike shows which present awards for best bike etc then you get the type of comments to which you refer, this is not right, that's wrong. So if you attend local bike meets you don,t get that, in fact it,s the opposite, people appreciate an old bike what ever it,s condition.

Offline Bomber

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 07:16:33 PM »
I visit all types of meets show etc.... even a protest run (thats a first for me) on sunday which I did on my old ES2, which certainly got em all talking  :). I suppose the old addage still holds strong... "you can't please all the people all of the time"

johnnyboy-wonder57

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 12:47:29 PM »
I like any bikes from old mopeds to monsters, but I do have a cut-off point when we get to near, the 21st century's  sanaitised two-wheeled cars, maybe not in style but in applied technology,  but sometimes both and I find it disturbing that low-tech options have all but disappeared, thanks to beauracrats.

What people ride and collect is a personal thing, sadly elitism is bound to creep in as prices rise,  its not bikes I have a problem with, but ignorant people and boy, do you hear some jaundiced views and mistaken technical information @ many a gathering.
A lot of the camaraderie has gone in the last 35 years, when I turned up on a D10 to VMCC runs or a sprint event @ Houghton,  or Rivington Barn, the older riders usually smiled or discussed when they had a Bantam.  I suppose, "mine is faster than yours", will have always been around, its just the more wise know that there is more to riding than raw speed!
Sadly, the regional club network has declined somewhat too, I personally consider the scrapping of the Clubman's TT as one of the causes that made the British bike industry decline amongst many others!

The other impact has been modern dwellings, usually impracticable and the anathema of our "Supermarket" society to "Shed-man", oil & dirt on the driveway & the moth splattered Belstaff the tinkerer & home restorer, have no place in the modern home!  The spam & chips ride to work motorcycle market has almost disappeared, until recently resurrected by the modern moped and some rare delights from the Far east, an area I have little wish to further explore, short of delivering a said Squirtbox to a punter, down the A2, awful, awful, awful, experience!

A resurrection of a  good over- reaching national network of regional clubs, irrespective of marque ridden, would be a good start if you look @ the old TT mag's nearly every region of the UK entered one or two riders, with a certain number of appearances and results under their belt.
The increasing professionalisation of motor sports has also caused a decline too in participation of two-wheeled fun, plus health & safety and personal insurance combining in their over-enthusiasm in stopping all fun activity within our islands.

I suppose personally, we have all got hung up on stat's,  bedazzled by, 1/4 mile, top speed, bhp, often the seeds of said elitism, however, how  all this translates on the road is a different matter, most bikes never spend any time anywhere near WOT,  but that's something learned through experience. If you park next to the latest rocket-ship with a top speed of  180+ mph,  just smile and content yourself, that @ that speed the glorious weave of scenery of the British countryside is just a blur!

if you want to see some of the the "glorious"  past, visit http://ramsgatehistory.com/sprint.html, I now live in Kent and would like to see the event resurrected on the Undercliff  @ Ramsgate if possible, although alterations to the road may have closed this venue forever, remember the "Controllers",  do not like straight bits of carriageway, with possible use  for Fun purposes.  I do know that the VMCC & NSA miss the stated venue, we need more of these events to keep, riding and motoring alive..

Cheers

John

Offline Bomber

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 10:52:19 PM »
"The other impact has been modern dwellings, usually impracticable and the anathema of our "Supermarket" society to "Shed-man", oil & dirt on the driveway & the moth splattered Belstaff the tinkerer & home restorer, have no place in the modern home!"

You must be joking John! I would consider a trade in for the missus if this was the case at our house!

johnnyboy-wonder57

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 12:12:13 PM »
"The other impact has been modern dwellings, usually impracticable and the anathema of our "Supermarket" society to "Shed-man", oil & dirt on the driveway & the moth splattered Belstaff the tinkerer & home restorer, have no place in the modern home!"
Bomber,
I think you misunderstood me, I not saying that its wrong to tinker e.t.c, but that many modern house designs of late, apart from being adverts for Habitat e.t.c have no room to store stuff, little space within them manoeuvre and often  poor access to back gardens, if you are lucky enough to have them, @ the moment in Kent the Greedy Fatherless ones that build houses seem to be having a contest on how you can demolish one reasonable dwelling with gardens and build 30+ miniaturised houses on the same spot!

Peer pressure, also seems to insist, if we believe the TV that modern man, when young at least is as  sterile as a hospital ward, (in the old days), smelly with deodorants and would die of shame,  if not impeccably manicured, coiffured & drinking a pint of Lager that will do amazing things to his life chances, whilst going out with at least one Super-model girlfriend, clean & mean modern Super-bikes fit into this image too!

Do I sound bitter & twisted?

Cheers

John

JBW

Offline Bomber

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 12:40:27 PM »
I see what you mean and your right John. However, I am sure I'm not the only relic from a bygone age and I'm not entirely a technophobe but I do not sit neatly in the round hole you describe, as I am sure many other readers concur. Perhaps the "new" man (Homo Castratus) may evolve a pair and become interested in other activities rather than spend a life in domestic and social servitude. A Fred Dibner College of further education in every town would help matters I'm sure!  ;D

Offline Scooter

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 03:05:46 PM »
  Elitism in classic bike circles, is not unique to just that genre, as I'm sure most of you are aware.  Over on this side of "The Pond", trying to get acknowledgement ala sticking out your left hand and maybe a couple of fingers, from the big American Twin-riding types is an act in futility.  When I bought my first sportbike (a new '92 CBR600 F2), and started riding on a daily basis, I'd do the "biker wave" to all oncoming motorcyclists.  I soon found out that because I wasn't riding a Harley, I didn't rate a return wave from those guys.  Yet, all other sportbikers and standard riders seemed to have the courteousness to return the wave, or even throw the wave out before me.  Back in '04, I had enough pocket change to buy my dream sportbike, a 999.  Not to say that Ducati is the upper crust of sportbikes, but they are nice.  I'd still throw out the wave, even to the Harley guys.  I occasionally got a return from those mostly scruffy-bearded, supposedly "old school" Harley riders.  But that was a rarity, and I chalk it up to the fact that I was riding a twin, albeit not an American twin.  What cracked me up was when the clearly corporate guy, who bought his way into Harleydom, would emit this same elitism.  It made me chuckle, knowing that these Johnny-come-latelies (who coincidentally were driving up the prices on Harleys at the dealerships) had been riding all of maybe a couple of years, were looking down on me as a lower class citizen.
'67 Honda Superhawk 305
'04 Ducati 999
and a 1940's British Frankenbike

Offline statik

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 03:28:19 PM »
I found out more today in a couple of hours on this web site about one of my bikes than I did in 20 years of going to shows and bike meets.  It seems most of what I was told was hog-wash.  A lot of so called experts spout off their knowlege, knowing they will never meet you again.  I go for the bikes mostly.  I prefer to ride them not polish them.