Author Topic: 1940 (?) BSA or Matchless identification  (Read 13760 times)

Offline Scooter

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
1940 (?) BSA or Matchless identification
« on: October 04, 2011, 12:43:54 PM »
I'm trying to identify a bike that I found overseas and purchased.  The tank badge is the standard "M" Matchless tank badge, but the motor has BSA on it.  I'm fairly certain that this bike is a mix and match of parts from both manufacturers, at the very least.  I've seen some numbers stamped on the engine, but can't seem to find the frame #.  Any idea where to locate a frame number?  And how do I identify what year and make this bike really is?

Cheers!

-Scott
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 01:18:42 PM by Scooter »
'67 Honda Superhawk 305
'04 Ducati 999
and a 1940's British Frankenbike

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1940 (?) BSA or Matchless identification
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 01:19:38 PM »
L.A.B.

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 06:07:01 PM »
Some years ago I was given a 'bike' that was a skillful blend of a BSA M20 engine welded (!!) into a Matchless frame.  Does that make it a BSA-LESS ?

Although in much better condition, your bike is somewhat along those lines, as you say ?

Have fun !

yebbut

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 06:48:26 PM »
 WD M20 engine
Matchless G3 frame

seems to be Matchless forks with other additions, poss Ariel or Triumph; thats looking at the handlebar clamps which are not Matchless,
Gearbox is a late 50's Burman B52.
carb looks Bing, maybe Dellorto, certainly continental.
From the angle of the oil tank which has a Norton or M20 filler cap, it is either from a later Matchless or there is something seriously wrong with the frame.
Fuel tank might well be from a later Matchless.

Frame number can just be seen above the oil tank filler, looking at it again it seems to me that the rear half of the frame is not Matchless, which would account for the queer angle of the oil tank.

What a dog.
It'll be far worse inside.
I betting you found it in Spain or Greece? or maybe middle east? Italians made a better job of such things.

Bllody Heck!!!! I have just noticed that the frame down tube is missing!! cut off at the top oiltank bracket, weigh the thing in its scrap. :(
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 06:57:54 PM by yebbut »

Offline Scooter

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 09:39:44 PM »
Yebbut,
  Thanks for the reply.  And good eye btw.  Yes, the seat tube is missing about a 2 inch section, hence the "queer" angle of the oil tank.  I can't tell the wifey that you've said "weigh it in and scrap it", lest she yell at me and reply "I told you not to bring it home!"  I figured I'd try to find the origin of this bike, like what model and year is it really.  Sounds like a '40 G3, from what you say.  I had planned on starting with that as a reference or guide in the restoration process.  But seeing as how it has so many different parts, I guess I can make it whatever the hell I want.  Maybe even a bobber.  I'd hate to scrap it, if I can make it look like a 40's Matchless, it might be worth a try?  Maybe a less loftier goal would be to try to make it look like a 40's British bike  It's currently mostly OD green, but I could make it into one of the civilian versions with a nice glossy powder coat frame.  That might make it easier on the resto.  If there's a slim to none chance of making this thing authentic, then I have pretty broad guidelines.  Maybe I can put some parts off my Duc 999 on there  :D
  Anyhow, I did manage to locate the frame # (22402) and the engine # (as stated earlier, it's a '43 BSA).  I suppose if the project starts too look too ominous, it might be worth selling for parts.  There's gotta be people out there in need of fronts forks, BSA motor, carb, etc.

Thanks again for your input.  It's always welcome.

Scott

P.S. you were right, I picked it up in the middle east, Iraq to be specific.
'67 Honda Superhawk 305
'04 Ducati 999

wetdog

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 09:58:23 PM »
make it safe and ride it ,looks like it may have worked at some time . you can go anywhere and see fully restored standard bikes ,but turn up on that for some real interest ,anyone can rebuild a bike back to standard but that is one of a kind , i just hope it was a good price ( cheap )

Offline Scooter

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 10:21:00 PM »
Yes, it was cheap.  That's for sure.  Nearly free.  I'm hoping that with maybe a couple grand into restoring it, it might be in decent riding shape.  If I can't make it into a 40's British bike at a bare minimum, I can always use the motor and forks and turn it into a bobber, kind of like the pic below.  And if that's not an option, I'll list it for parts.

Once again, thanks for your input/advice.  I'm new the the Brit bike scene, and this is my first foray.

Cheers!
Scott
'67 Honda Superhawk 305
'04 Ducati 999

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 10:40:38 PM »
Have a butchers inside the engine before throwing any money at it.
Probably find the Iraqis discarded it after a lifetime's hard work, during which the poor thing was bodged bodged and bodged again just to keep the wheels turning.
My advice would be to break it down into it's various makes, flog off the stuff that's either the wrong make or too far gone, then buy a relevant engine or frame from Ebay and build from that.

Some of those foreign "bodges by necessity" are ingenious, but they can cost a lot of time and money to rectify.  :(

Offline rogerwilko

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 10:55:20 PM »
Hacked Matchy frame, M20 forks, Matchy oiltank, gutless M20 engine, B52 Burman box, Matchy clutch, face it it's a complete bodge. Sell the girders and gearbox and you should get your money back.

Offline Scooter

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 11:02:37 PM »
Rex - I like your idea.  If I go that route, what's worth more complete?  A '40 G3 or a '43 M20?

Rogerwilco - I'll have to crack open the case when I get home.  If it's shit, then the motor will get discarded, if not, I might use it as Rex suggested and build around it.

Thanks guys!

-Scott
'67 Honda Superhawk 305
'04 Ducati 999

yebbut

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 10:18:34 AM »
If I go that route, what's worth more complete?  A '40 G3 or a '43 M20?

both of those ex WD bikes sell for a lot.
yours woudnt as it would just be  tat altered to look like one of those.

Turning it back into either a G3 or M20 will cost more than buying the gen article.
Finding enough correct bits will be a project in itself.
 dismantle it,  identify the parts flog the bits off, put the money towards something decent and regard ir as a lesson learnt.
Do not let your heart rule your head and above never never ever take on projects that are beyond your abilitys,

The bike is scrap, treat it as such.

And as for thinking of spendin a couple of grand on it?  :o

Have you got locked into Saddams secret bank account or your own oil well?
If not see a Medic immediately.....................
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 10:21:44 AM by yebbut »

Offline Scooter

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 10:51:26 AM »
Thanks for your help!  It seemed like it had so much potential.  I should've done some more research before acquiring it.  Maybe I'll just save my money and put it towards buying one that's already complete, or close enough to it.

Thanks again!

-Scott
'67 Honda Superhawk 305
'04 Ducati 999

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2011, 12:58:25 PM »
He's being overly negative.
 M20s etc parts aren't dearer or more elusive than any other old classics' and they're on Ebay all the time.
If you wanted it finished quickly then you'd likely end up paying too much, but providing you wait it out and pick up bits as they appear, and just enjoy the rebuild for what it is, then there's no reason to think you'd pay over the odds, unless you want catalogue perfection. To get it complete and a runner wouldn't be hard, especially if you're happy to use wrong year bits etc.
This is surmising you enjoy the greasy rebuilding process, of course; some don't.
"Scrap" indeed. What tosh. It's no worse than  my current project, a 37 Empire Star.

Offline statik

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2011, 01:07:26 PM »
Wouldn't worry about being a bits and pieces bike, they can be good too.  My Dad worked at Matchless in Plumstead back in the day.  He said most of the workers bikes were made up from all sorts of parts (mostly from Matchless back-door sales). 

Offline Scooter

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2011, 01:56:44 PM »
Yeah, all I really wanted out of this bike was a nice old Brit bike that I could ride, maybe make it as close to restored as possible.  I'm completely comfortable getting "greasy".  Hell, I pulled off the aluminum engine covers and other aluminum bits off my '67 Superhawk and hand polished those.  That took some time and serious elbow grease.  I'm willing to hang out and piece this thing together over time.  My priority would be to strip the frame and repair the seat tube section that is missing.  Bead blast the whole the thing and powder coat.  Then move onto the engine.  Have it checked inside.  Maybe bore it out a tad, and put some oversized pistons in there.  See what the top end looks like.  Replace any valve springs, etc.  I've never worked on a Brit bike, so I have no experience or knowledge on how the valve train works or what it even looks like, but I imagine it's similar to most of the standard older technology.  There's various sheet metal repair that needs to be done (fenders, etc.).  Check out the electrical system.  Replace the battery.  Gas tank looks decent enough inside.  Replace clutch and brake cables.  Fire this beast up and see what's what.  That's all.  Not too much to ask for, is it?

Being new to these older bikes, I noticed a little switch lever type thing near the left side hand grip (see attached pic).  What is this?  It almost looks like an old bicycle bell lever.

Also, what are the extra set of small levers above each handlebar lever?  Do they actuate the oil spill or the smoke generator?

Thanks again,
Scott
'67 Honda Superhawk 305
'04 Ducati 999