Author Topic: Villiers 147cc engine in need of a gearbox. Albion?  (Read 8682 times)

Offline Robertriley

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Villiers 147cc engine in need of a gearbox. Albion?
« on: October 30, 2011, 04:32:41 PM »
I have a 147 Villiers engine and am i need of lightweight gearbox.  I was bidding on a Albion on ebay and lost it at the last secong.  I'd like a complete unit.   I think I could use something like this post.  http://www.classicmotorcycleforum.com/index.php?topic=3712.0.

If anyone has one of these please let me know.

Thanks,
Chris
Robertriley312@hotmail.com

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Villiers 147cc engine in need of a gearbox. Albion?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 10:53:52 PM »
Can't help with the gearbox, sorry.
But if you actually want to buy something on ebay, and not just push the price up for the seller, then you ONLY bid in the last few seconds. Remember, bid big and bid last...
Good Luck.

P.S. Do all those handchange boxes have a neutral.
Some, for agricultural use, don't ?

Online Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 08:32:46 AM »
Robert, I have one (IIRC) identical to that. Hand change, bottom flat mount etc, but I can't get hold of it for a couple of weeks. A mate tried it for size on his project, it wasn't the right one, but I can't get hold of him for a while hence the wait.
If you could wait a while maybe we could sort something out.

Offline Robertriley

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 08:53:29 AM »
That sounds good.  How complete is it?    I also have a friend that may need one coming up too.

Online Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 10:46:40 AM »
All complete, and has all three ratios too... ;)

Offline Robertriley

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 02:26:24 PM »
Please drop me an Email when you get it back.  Robertriley312@hotmail.com

Thanks,
Chris Hammond

Offline rdolan1000

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 03:49:03 AM »
Hey Chris,

You're right behind me, chasing down the same leads that I was after! For me, patience paid off and I found two of these little boxes in a single Ebay UK auction last week. These are out there, be patient and buy complete unit.  These were popular on Mayfield Rotovators and garden tractors -search for those and you'll find some. Those units use a long lever which serves as a pull start, but a kick lever should bolt on. Some of the boxes do not have provision for starters, so shop careful. If you're in the states, get ready for hefty shipping fees.  Shipping cost more than the boxes I found.

The units I found were complete, but the clutches look a little tired.  I have found a source in the states for rebuild kits, but have not found a source for the clutches. I was surprised to see the clutches use cork as the friction material which is a bit funky.  Perhaps some of the guys here can help with a source for the clutches.

Rich

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 07:42:55 AM »
Recorking clutches is remarkably simple using common bottle corks once you know the technique. These corks are getting harder to find but for example the last lot I bought came from a home brew beer kit and I believe some home wine bottlers still like to use cork so appropriate corks are still around.

There are four basic steps,

1 You must use whole cork. Do not use reconstituted cork (crumbed cork glued together to make something, eg, tiles) Do not use champagne or wine corks that are made from glued up slices of cork. It doesn't matter if you use 2nd grade corks, as long as they are made from a single piece of cork.

2  The cork should be a bit bigger than the hole it is intended for. A few Albion clutches have circular drilled holes most have a hole shaped to push the cork in sideways. Whatever you have the cork must be slightly larger than the hole.

3 To insert the corks you first soak them in really hot water until they go soft.  Just use an ordinary saucepan on your kitchen stove. This is a very clean operation. Heat the water up until not quite boiling, just simmering and then throw in your corks. They will float on the surface. After 10-15 minutes pick them out, squeeze to see how soft they are and if nice and squishy push them in the holes. The cork won't be hot, it never is. You can safely push the corks in with your bare fingers. Being too big the cork will press hard against the sides and not want to move.

4 When all corks are inserted put the clutch plate to one side for 24 hours to let the corks completely dry off. When dry the cork will return to how it was before you started. It will now be hard again so you can now trim off the excess with a very sharp knife and do the final flattening on a sheet of sand paper or depending on your workshop equipment, on a disk linisher or bench grinder. This is not precision engineering, getting the surface flat and parallell by eye is sufficient. The cork will compress and flatten out slightly more when the clutch is assembled.

There you go , how to select corks and recork a clutch in one easy lesson. I suggest you check it all out by drilling a 1/2" hole in a piece of thin steel and practice the technique. It really is very easy.
Cheers,

Offline rdolan1000

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 05:33:34 PM »
Hey thats great info, I'll give that a shot.

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 11:45:19 PM »
Terrific. Nice to see you have a go. I can't emphasize enough the importance of using whole cork. Its the major secret.  If you want to see the difference between whole cork and reconstituted or laminated cork try simmering a selection of the various types in the way I described and see what happens to them. Glued up cork either falls apart or stays stiff in spots and spoils the whole process,
Tell us how you get on.
Cheers,