Author Topic: AO gearbox alldays and onions ?  (Read 3973 times)

wetdog

AO gearbox alldays and onions ?
« on: December 15, 2011, 11:40:40 AM »
have dug out a two speed gearbox i have , the only marks are the letters AO , its a cross over type ie cluch one side drive the other ( like the triumph im working on ) ring any bells with anyone i will try and take pics later thanks

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
Re: AO gearbox alldays and onions ?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 09:29:36 PM »

Alldaysand Onions did use cross-over gearboxes around 1914, but I think they were 3 speed. You could be on the right track...

Leon

wetdog

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 11:30:27 AM »
thanks i had a 1912 aldays onions round tank fitted with a rock hub and live axel wish id have kept it . found this on another site but not sure if it refers to a gearbox or two speed hub , will take some pics ,
1911 Only the larger, belt-driven model with rigid forks was listed. The company revised the 3.5hp model and although it was still belt driven, it now had two-speed gearing and Druid forks. This well-built machine was fairly inexpensive. Later that year the Alldays-Matchless appeared. This had a 6hp twin engine, three-speed gearbox and all-chain drive.

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 09:37:37 PM »

Yep should have kept that bike - could have had some fun on it!

The 1911 Alldays had a Millenium 2-speed gear in the hub. For the 1914 year (announced in November 1913) the 3 1/2 h.p. (500cc single) could have had a 3-speed cross-over gear box (like the 6 h.p. twin you mention) or a 3-speed Sturmey Archer rear hub.

Not sure where a 2-speed gearbox might fit in, but anything's possible.

Leon

wetdog

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 09:43:44 PM »
sold it and bought a 1914 Humber , but it was good fun , unlike the humber which destroyed the stermy archer hub first time out .

Offline bentandbroken

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2012, 01:13:37 AM »
 :)  hi guys anyone out there got a 3 speed Alldays gearbox  i need one for my V twin   .in  any condition or just borrow for a pattern