Author Topic: Barrel full of laughs......not!  (Read 6104 times)

Offline twolitre

• Advanced Member
  • ON yer bike!
    • View Profile
Barrel full of laughs......not!
« on: February 27, 2012, 12:55:12 PM »
Investigating a sudden rise in oil consumption and smoke on my 1956 Triumph 5T Speed Twin I discovered both cylinders had massive ruts (not typical scores) in both pots. Obviously made by the gudgeon pin circlips if badly fitted (or the gudgeon pins if the circlips were not fitted).
I have two problems. I have no idea who rebuilt the engine when it was bored to +.040", but I think they must have used something like Araldite as gasket sealant! I cannot shift the barrels. I have tried driving the unit upwards utilising the very slight lip available in places, screwing in the head studs and judicially tapping them forward and sideways and also the same with a suitable piece of wood in the bores. All to no avail. Of course I dare not clout the fins.
Any sensible suggestions please?
The second problem - it is obvious that when/if I remove the barrels I will need to either get the barrels sleeved or replaced. Can anyone help me there?
Hopeful Jim.

By the way I intended taking the bike on a tour of Northern Spain in May and still hope so to do. However, I do have a reserve in the form of the reliable 5TA Speed Twin in my Avatar.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 01:09:03 PM by twolitre »
Jim Walker.

Offline rogerwilko

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Barrel full of laughs......not!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 08:28:46 PM »
A common mistake was fitting seeger clips instead of round profile wire clips or visa versa.

Offline yosemite

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 09:49:07 PM »
simplest way would probably be to use heat to soften whateveris holding the barrels, but if this does not work you could try using a couple of blocks of wood in the bore and you can bolt the head back down and try to lift the barrel by rotating the crank ( please dont put your  pushrods in or you will bend valves)
 a thought just occured(which is indeed a strange occurrence for me) if you cut a couple of blocks so that they protrude slightly above the top of the barrel with the crank at the bottom of the stroke you may be able to jack the barrel away from the cases by carefully tightening the head bolts
  I wish you luck with the rebuild and with the trip
   Yosemite

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 11:41:39 PM »
Whatever your previous owner used it will break down with heat. Read the manufacturers blurb on Loctite, Araldite and so on to confirm this.
You don't want to go berserk with excessive heat, no direct flame or oxy torch or such like. I suggest you get to work with a paint stripping heat gun and slowly and evenly heat the cylinders through out, keep it hot as you can for for a while, and then try again.  Patience is all.

RogerWilko is probably spot on with the reason why this happened. As an Australian he will also tell you if you're desperate you can have these ruts filled with bronze, the bores cleaned up and continue  riding. Because of the superb spare parts supply and after sales service provided by British motorcycle makers (not) Australians learnt to do all sorts of things to keep their bikes on the road.
The serious wear surfaces in a cylinder are fore and aft, the sides containing your ruts do not share the same wear pattern so the bronze is quite adequate.

You will probably find all the parts you need but keep the above in mind if all else fails.
Cheers,

Offline twolitre

• Advanced Member
  • ON yer bike!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 08:28:04 AM »
I take your point about thrust wear 33d6. And the possibility of bronze filling. Especially as there is no sign of a wear ridge in either bore and because the ruts disappear about halfway up the piston stroke. But how can the bronze "filling" be dressed to blend with the original bore? I am not sure that honing will serve.

The concept of a heat gun mentioned did occur to me last night and is in todays agenda, though I am not too hopeful. However.....

Thank you all for the suggestions. I may have to try some of the others.

I will post results - positive or negative.
Jim.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 08:33:53 AM by twolitre »
Jim Walker.

Offline twolitre

• Advanced Member
  • ON yer bike!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 01:25:32 PM »
UPDATE.
An hour+ of warming with TWO heat guns finally released the cylinder barrels. The two parallel grooves in each cylinder are deep enough to break a fingernail and gudgeon pin diameter apart.
There are no circlips in the outer ends (engine-wise) of either piston and the gudgeon pins can be easily pushed out of the pistons with the fingers, even cold.
I now have to decide on my best course of action, somewhat dictated by finance with the expense of the Spanish trip looming.
Many thanks for the interest and suggestions.
Jim.
Jim Walker.