Author Topic: Need Velocette Viceroy (2 stroke) pistons  (Read 4280 times)

velovice

Need Velocette Viceroy (2 stroke) pistons
« on: February 05, 2007, 01:03:24 AM »
Hello All,

Would anyone know of a supplier where I might be able to purchase pistons for a 1961 Velocette Viceroy?

If not, would anyone know how to find a modern equivilent? I saw a magazine article with a Viceroy in it that mentioned the owner had installed Yamaha pistons. I wish I knew how to get in contact with that fellow!

Thanks for any help or advice offered,

Craig

Offline BEAMA

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Need Velocette Viceroy (2 stroke) pistons
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 04:55:14 AM »
TRY THE LE VELO CLUB, I BELIEVE THEY KEEP SOME VICEROY SPARES.

WWW.LEVELOCLUB.ORG.UK

velovice

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 12:47:42 PM »
Hi,

Good idea, I'm crossing my fingers that they have a few spares for this bike. I sent off a bank draft in Pounds Sterling (I'm in the US) to them a few days ago, but I didn't see a way to email anyone at the club, so I guess that I'm unfortunately stuck with waiting for the post on their response.

I'm glad to have joined the club for information purposes, but my hopes aren't too high on engine spares via the club as the Viceroy has a completely different engine than the LE bikes.  What I'd really like to run across is a fellow who's figured out what modern bike piston to use! Maybe a club member or forum reader who sees this thread will be able to answer that for me.

BTW, here's the link that pictures a fellow who runs Yamaha pistons in his Viceroy. Maybe someone will recognise him. :-)
http://www.realclassic.co.uk/ridesfiles/rides04112500.html

Thanks again,

Craig

TRY THE LE VELO CLUB, I BELIEVE THEY KEEP SOME VICEROY SPARES.

WWW.LEVELOCLUB.ORG.UK

Offline vfactory

• Advanced Member
  • BeesaMan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 09:06:08 PM »
velovice..
i'm guessing that if you want to replace the engine you are going to be doing this anyways.. so open up the engine and measure the piston using calipers.. take into account that pistons can wear down. also measure the cylinder as it doesn't. go the the nearest breakers and see what fits the bill.

P.S (from someone else) pistons are slightly oval and taper toward the top so when measuring a piston you should measure across the bottom of the skirt from front to back to avoid any confusion - on a big piston it might be 3 or 4 thou different.