Author Topic: Norton 16h  (Read 19800 times)

Offline rosko

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Norton 16h
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2012, 06:08:13 PM »
dichloromethane
use it with care, buy it from ebay
its the base ingredient for paint stripper so keep it away from your paint

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2012, 10:19:20 PM »
MEK (methylethylketone, type of paint thinner) is commonly used to dissolve/strip out old tank liners. Ditto, keep it away from your tank paint.

Offline hallii

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2012, 05:45:35 PM »
MEK doesn'y touch it, I did a trial with a lump I pulled off and it just sat there for a week!

Cellulose and synthetic paint thinner don't work either. 

Dichloromethane works and so does Nitromors, just need to do the job now and protect the paint. Polythene sheet and duct tape seem to be resistant to the stripper so it will be a very tight masking excercise methinks.

Then there is my 1955 Land Rover tank, I did it with the same stuff, Oh joy!

Geoff

Offline wink

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2012, 09:04:16 AM »
Father had several 16H, he`ll love the photo because his always looked ex WD (as if they`had been in the war). Usually they had a sidecar because he and his father before him were AA men. And he put a plank on the chassis to carry his offroad (what) bikes to events. Spellchecker doesn`t recognise offroad, so thats nice.
Unfortunately with no weight on the chassis they don`t turn left very well and thats how he broke his leg the 1st time. He`s always kickstarted with his left leg, perhaps using the right leg originated with people astride their bike?
He is 88 now and we have to start his Lambulletta on rollers.
Why do so many people put the licence holder on the wrong side?

Offline hallii

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2012, 05:55:03 PM »
I have ridden sidecars, in the rain, in the sun, up motorways and down dirt tracks, Panther, BSA, Norton, Vincent, to name a few. Turning left is a skill best learned at low speed! Turning right is easy provided the steady bar doesn't let go on you! It happened to me once, finished up in the hedge with surpisingly little damage.

Fiddle brake on the sidecar wheel makes left turns easier, but then not many sidecars were fitted with them, or any brake at all.

I will tell the tale of my home made sidecar heater off the exhaust one day!

Geoff

Offline hallii

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2012, 09:16:09 PM »
I just noiticed that this post has 1009 views, wow, I am famous 8)

Well back to that sidecar heater, Mrs Geoff had been complaining that in the winter it got pretty cold in the Watsonian double adult sidecar, (she should have tried sitting on the bike side of things in a snow storm!).

So I designed a rasther nifty heater for the sidecar, a length of 15mm copper pipe was plumberd into the exhaust near the cylinder barrel and this was bent into a smart coil and passed into the sidecar via the floor.

Tests showed that it gave of sufficient heat to keep Mrs G happy and so we set off for a usual sunday ride.
Half way there there was frantic banging on the celluloid side car window and Mrs G was doing an impression of a demented and tortured mental patient.  I was forced to stop to see what was up, what was up was that the sidecar floor was on fire, the flames were licking round Mrs G's feet.

Well, at least it kept her feet warm ;D

Geoff

Offline hallii

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2012, 03:52:57 PM »
It's Christmas time again, time to be thinking of pressies, I have asked for some goggles (Split glass, leather, British made, and a pair of vintage style leather gauntletts, pity they don't do them with the white cuffs any more).

I was going to ask for full body armour but that might be a bit over the top.

I have had some wonderful pressies in the past, (haven't we all?) one day I will find out what some of them do, I have mastered the MP3 player with 8Gb and a built in radio, but the "Windows for Dummies" book is a very boring read.

Anyway, Merry Christmas.

Geoff

Offline RichP

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2012, 09:19:56 PM »
Cheers Geoff. I've asked for a sixty year old footpump to recondition. I've broken too many modern ones. An internet search hasn't shown a single new good quality footpump. An old one will suit the WD16H better anyway.

Offline hallii

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2012, 05:46:55 PM »
The 16h was originally fitted with a hand pump that clipped under the tank, just like a push bike pump. The pointy things had long gone on mine so I never replaced it.

My old twin barrel footpump is pretty worn now. leather washers replaced and it still works.

I mainly use a 12v Ring "Heavy Duty" pump now, much easier!

Having read the exploding battery thread I must go and take mine off charge, I use an old variable voltage supply that is limited to 500 mA and it just reduces the voltage on an overload. So I am happy it won't overcharge.

I well remember being on a "Zodiac" rescue boat, (I used to sail a lot) when the battery and compartment exploded, it blew a hole in the floor but the inflatable bits kept us afloat until we were rescued by a small launch, most embarrassing!

Geoff