Author Topic: triumph 3TA alloy barrels  (Read 7378 times)

wetdog

triumph 3TA alloy barrels
« on: June 30, 2012, 12:14:47 PM »
when did triumph fit alloy barrels to there 350s ? (no its not silver paint)

Offline rogerwilko

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: triumph 3TA alloy barrels
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 01:56:29 AM »
How do you know it's not silver paint? Looks like an old photo?

wetdog

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 07:24:11 AM »
i have this bike here , photos off phone not that good

Offline Revband

• Advanced Member
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Revband
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Revband
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 10:19:31 AM »
From the information I have the only 3TA and T90s that had alloy barrels where some specials made for ISDT use in the very early 60s, If it is a genuine 350 alloy barrel machine then you need to research it's history, or could it be a modified 500 barrel?.

wetdog

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 12:15:16 PM »
can you post a copy of this information please , the bike was in trails trim when i got it but i thought it was wronge so put in into road trim , rode for 2 years then left it in the back of the shed for @ 30 years , dragged it out recently as i was board , the bike was registerd 1958 , and is fitted with @ 9to1 pistons , went well and is the smoothest triumph i have ever rode
looking at the barrels closer there are two small holes (one each side) in the rear of the top fins but none in the head , looks like wiring holes ? but for what , also there is a primmary chain tentioner but can only be accessed by removing the primmary cover ?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 02:56:08 PM by wetdog »

Offline Revband

• Advanced Member
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Revband
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Revband
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 03:43:38 PM »
Hi Wetdog,

Not sure if any where built as early as that but they where 3TAs built to T90 spec with alloy barrels so the 9-1 would fit in, have a look at this web site and contact Justin with the info you will find him very knowledgeable and helpful.    http://www.triumph-tiger-90.com/

Offline rosko

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 08:33:16 PM »
I used to prepare bikes for the ISDT and others.

those holes were used to lock wire parts together so they could not be changed, ISDT, Welsh 3 days, Scottish Six days all that sort of thing you had various key parts wired together by the scrutineer.
they were also paint marked, sometimes one colour often a patch of two, not big, patches  less than a 50 piece.
I would strongly urge you to take great care, search the bike  for paint tags, on wheel hubs forks all over, you may well have a very rare and historic bike.

wetdog

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 10:00:18 PM »
its a very long way from the bike i bought all them years ago , was never really into triumphs but starting to look at them more now a days , to me they where always cheap and plenty about round here so stuck with velos , but now looking at some triumphs i have (six in ,all) they do have there good points and now appreciate the style , so may be my fad for the next few years