Author Topic: Why is Modern Styling Crap &Taste & Decency in Building Specials  (Read 5713 times)

johnnyboy-wonder57

Huh!
Am I the only person who looking @ Modern bikes finds the gaping hole @ the rear between the hugger mudguard and the  looming upturned back-end visually offensive & ridiculous?

And guess what some of this cavernous styling is being adapted onto  Cafe Racers & Specials, a Canadian guy, built a Norton Featherbed Special with painstaking care & then forgot to put a rear mudguard in it, it looked vacuous, like a stupid oversight, is this bike to be ridden on the roads?

Someone, on a another site was boasting how he cut up Featherbed frames, (there's enough Heritage around, was his comment), to build his creations, which where functionally & visually doubtful to say the least.
What's wrong with these people have they no aesthetic insight or reasoning, why do so many new bikes look like overblown plastic Gnats/ Mosquito's  pumped up on steroids with their wings plucked off?

There seems to be a growing movement of people, who want to take Featherbed of Classic  frames and fit modern parts to them, I am not saying this cannot be done, tastefully,  but surely there are limits to taste & decency within motorcyclecircles, but this is the worst example I have seen admittedly not a Featherbed but....anyway some food for thought here....

Cheers

John

johnnyboy-wonder57

Re: Why is Modern Styling Crap &Taste & Decency in Building Specials
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 07:55:31 PM »
OH! & this one....

The Trident is how it should be done!

Cheers

John

johnnyboy-wonder57

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 09:39:39 PM »
& this, just found the photo.. see absence of mudguard!

Cheers

J

Offline Bomber

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 10:06:19 PM »
I am not a lover of modern styling particularly the genre "street fighter", but you must remember JBW the whole ethos of special building.. you are making something that is tailor made to suit yourself for a purpose. Dislike we may, but there isn't didley squat we can do about it. What gets my goat big style is when classic spares are butchered in the name of style.
If iver tha does owt for nowt alus duit for thissen

Offline twolitre

• Advanced Member
  • ON yer bike!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 07:49:04 AM »
It used to be a Legal Obligation that ALL road vehicles had a mudguard over every road wheel. Has the Law changed? Or are all these machines illegal?
I remember a friend removing both front and rear mudguards from his 'bike and being successfully prosecuted.
Jim.
Jim Walker.

Offline VintageBike

• YaBB Administrator
  • Advanced Member
  • Not quite enough bikes in the garage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 11:50:51 AM »
Hi Jim,

it certainly isn't an MoT requirement as I have just MoT'd my CS1 with no front mudguard.

Offline twolitre

• Advanced Member
  • ON yer bike!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 12:05:35 PM »
I was thinking of Construction and Use Regulations (or whatever they are called now). not M.O.T. testing.
There definitely used to be regulations regarding protective measures over exposed road wheels.
Jim.
Jim Walker.