Author Topic: Boyer magnetic rotor removal  (Read 4367 times)

Offline rbaisa

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Boyer magnetic rotor removal
« on: February 24, 2007, 08:07:54 AM »
Hello all.  I am a newbie to the world of British bikes and rebuilding a 1966 BSA A65 motor.  I got stuck earlier today.  This bike has a Boyer ignition installed and I can't seem to figure out how to get the magnetic rotor out.  Is the rotor pressed in or is it threaded in?  If it is threaded in is it a right handed thread or a left handed thread?  I have been looking at it for about an hour now and can't seem to figure it out.  If someone could tell me how to get this thing out I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks, Rick.

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Boyer magnetic rotor removal
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 04:39:30 PM »
The Boyer rotor is held by a taper fit the same as the original points auto advance unit.

To extract it screw a 5/16" UNF thread bolt of at least 2-3 inches (or longer) length into the rotor body (normal right-hand thread) and then gently tap the head of the bolt with a hammer up-down-left-right until the rotor comes free.

There is no key way or other means of automatically setting the rotor timing position when refitting.
The position of the rotor needs to be re-set according to the Boyer instructions when refitting.

The Boyer setup instructions can be found on their website (Micro Mk3/Micro Digital/Micro Power):  

http://www.boyerbransden.com/html/data_sheets.html
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 07:59:38 PM by L.A.B. »
L.A.B.

Offline rbaisa

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 10:13:43 PM »
Thank You very much.

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 11:02:38 PM »
If the threaded part of the 5/16" bolt is long enough it is possible to just screw the bolt in until it bottoms and then continue to turn it until the rotor extracts, although there is a chance that the end of 1/4" fixing bolt thread in the idler wheel could be damaged.
L.A.B.