Author Topic: water cooled villiers engine  (Read 5981 times)

wetdog

water cooled villiers engine
« on: August 18, 2012, 02:35:28 PM »
water cooled villiers engine , any one know what year and what its out of thanks
http://s1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb429/1wetdog/?action=view&current=Photo0143.jpg
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 02:37:36 PM by wetdog »

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: water cooled villiers engine
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 01:31:08 AM »
Excelsior, mid 30's.

The RY series watercooled MK 14A was made from 1933-40. I can't yet tell you the exact date of manufacture of each one but I'm working on it.

Various manufacturers fitted them of which Excelsior seems to have used it the most. Vincent made half a dozen or so bikes fitted with this engine but they are all accounted for. SOS used them as well but they were never a mass market bike either.

The RYEF prefix plus the rigid top water pipe identifies yours as out of an Excelsior. They first catalogued a model using this engine in 1933 when it was introduced and then followed the Francis Barnett Cruiser  and Coventry Eagle Pullman concept with an all enclosed model, the Excelsior Viking in 1934 & 35. I haven't researched further as yet.

Cheers,

wetdog

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 03:21:24 PM »
thanks for the info , found a pic in a book i have , not nice so wont bother looking for the rest something else for swaps

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 12:20:55 AM »
I tend to agree with you. The idea was good but like a lot of attempts at making a clean bike back then the end result was pretty ugly.

A bike fitted with that 250 water cooled engine would be something to have but how do you make it good looking as well?

Cheers,

wetdog

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 01:17:27 PM »
maybe one day . got my hands full with a project at the moment as im fitting a 350cc barr and stroud sleeve valve engine into a cotton chassis i have @ late 20s early 30s not sure , was going to use this villiers engine but i would have had to rubber mount the rad like SOS and could not bring my self to cutting it off .

Offline sprocket-in-my-socket

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email

wetdog

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 11:40:33 PM »
thanks but went with the barr and stroud sleeve valve , it turns out cotton did order one engine (in 22) and I would like to hear this engine run , its coming along slowly , but I have just got planning for my last new build (house) and I intend retire afterwards , so more time for bikes .